Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CBIR / CB IR - 10 years on

IR practical test is easy, it’s IR theory that is painful or getting “signed for the test”, anyway if you drop TK IR requirement (and any funky “IFR ELP”), I expect many who went for FAA IR to get CBIR instead

FAA IR is expensive: in Euope checkride is north of 2000£, in US it’s not free or easy neither: the checkride is known to be tough, there is a hassle with TSA and it’s also expensive (unless you fly your aircraft there), the only difference it’s likely to stay as the best memory of “flying holiday” say compared to 6am full English Breakfast while taking days off your work to spend nights in Lydd, Bournemouth or Cardiff

On thing, in US, everybody can get an IR with money and one week reading, in EASA, it’s impossible to get through CBIR TK without bashing QDB even having superior technical knowledge is likely not enough (if engineers or scientists struggle to pass it, good luck with doctors, dentists, lawyers, businessman…)

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Mar 09:44
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

IR practical test is easy, it’s IR theory that is painful or getting “signed for the test”, anyway if you drop TK IR requirement (and any funky “IFR ELP”), I expect many who went for FAA IR to get CBIR instead

@Ibra, what upsets me a lot is the fact any IR theory expires in 3 years. I know quite a few IR (R ) instructors that allowed their IR to lapse (they did not need it at the time) and now they cannot get it back unless they do a full theory and 7 exams. If it was the same things as ICAO IR conversion – no problem, many would do it, but going the full cycle again…

EGTR

thanks arj1, I think he means the lot, as in:

Peter wrote:

the hardest course of study is the IR. The CPL is a bit of easy VFR flying.

Then yes, the IR is the “hardest”. The ATPL, as the acronym stands for, is a rating necessary to be in command of a commercial airliner. It is also true that the “frozen” to “unfrozen” or full ATPL is in itself not a difficult passage. The more so when the pilot has been flying the necessary hours to meet the requirements within “his” airline, and is therefore quite experienced.

Last Edited by Dan at 20 Mar 10:04
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Has the frozen ATPL disappeared then?

The frozen ATPL has gone since more than 20 years. Today -as Peter correctly described – it is just a marketing term used by some flight schools and some young airline pilots who think its easier to impress cabin staff if they call it “frozen ATPL” than using the correct license description “CPL/IR with ATPL theory passed”

Germany

instructors that allowed their IR to lapse (they did not need it at the time) and now they cannot get it back unless they do a full theory and 7 exams. If it was the same things as ICAO IR conversion – no problem, many would do it, but going the full cycle again…

You may add: even if you have EASA IR and you are flying EASA-reg, it’s best to get an FAA IR to keep your EASA IR going:
- No need for ATO if your EASA IR is lapsed while FAA IR is current with rolling currency
- No need to worry about having to do TK exams again (while I have the brains now, I doubt I can afford this going forward)

Maintaining an EASA IR every 12 months without having an FAA IR is not a walk in the park (at least from my experience in France or UK, it needs few days per year and 400€-1600€ depending if it’s your aircraft or hired one and if it’s mixing SE & ME), although things are easy if you have an IMCR & BIR to fallback on for 3 months while you sort “your personal life”

Last Edited by Ibra at 20 Mar 11:45
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

My last MEIR + MEP revalidation at an ATO cost €1200.
This included just over 1.5hrs flying time with examiner in a DA42 and 2hrs in a FNPT2 DA42 simulator with instructor to brush up on my techniques beforehand.
This also revalidated my SEIR and dispensed with the need for a separate control flight to revalidate the SEP qualification by experience.
Whilst at the ATO got talking to a guy who was doing an FAA to EASA MEIR etc conversion. He did both about a year apart. In his opinion there was not much difference between the 2 theory tests in content. The only real differences that he really remembered was in the law, communications and trying to remember the different winds in the EASA theory.
For the FAA test he had a heavy 6 hour oral test before the flight whereas in Europe the cumulative time for all his exams, multiple choice in a roomful of computers was also about 6 hours but could be split over several sessions. He thought they seemed more like exams at school. His opinion was that it depends which type of testing method suits the individual best.
Oh sorry got that wrong I showed him this post and he said he did not do a conversion he did both as separate licences. I don’t know why he just said he felt like it.

Last Edited by gallois at 20 Mar 11:26
France

Peter wrote:

Actually the CFII is harder

Please tell me you’re joking?

London, United Kingdom

Malibuflyer wrote:

it is just a marketing term used by some flight schools and some young airline pilots who think its easier to impress cabin staff if they call it “frozen ATPL” than using the correct license description “CPL/IR with ATPL theory passed”

Thanks, then nothing’s really changed

As for myself, into my 5th retirement year (though I like to call it the final chapter, and yes, I’m enjoying it to the max), I let all my IFR privileges lapse. Still don’t see any benefit of maintaining an IR for my kind of flying, now strictly private and pleasure

Last Edited by Dan at 20 Mar 11:30
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

I think you have a point Dan.

France

in US, everybody can get an IR with money and one week reading

No.

Please tell me you’re joking?

The DPE I had at KCHD told me that, of the checkride.

what upsets me a lot is the fact any IR theory expires in 3 years

7 years since your last IR revalidation, unless you maintain a valid ICAO IR. This aspect has a long and nasty history but this is the current position.

in Euope checkride is north of 2000£, in US it’s not free or easy neither: the checkride is known to be tough, there is a hassle with TSA

For Europeans doing it in the US, but the real comparison is against Americans doing the IR at their local school. The European IR is nowhere near as accessible for Europeans.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message