Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CBIR / CB IR - 10 years on

gallois wrote:

For the DA40D I will go for the bare minimum so PBN would be a problem.

This is not a big problem today, but will be soon. In some cases you will have ILS on one side and RNP on the other, so circle-to-land will be required.

We would need a second radio 8.33 or a second Garmin 430 we already have one so let’s say c.€4000

This is not a real requirement. While my TB-10 is in the shop I’m flying a rented PA28 with one 8.33 and a handheld. OTOH you could get a 430W and solve the PBN requirement, but that will cost you more than 4k.

Nav software guessing at €1000

Jeppesen NavData is €342 per year if you only want Western Europe.

We would have no autopilot so would have an 800m minimum RVR.

Never heard this, and in any case have violated it many times if it’s for real.

EHRD, Netherlands

I think people are mixing “nice to have” with “legally required” for IFR

I would love two engines with SVT, GFC700, EVS with 3 “IFR 8.33khz radios” ILS Cat3 runway and LPV with 550m RVR, all this to fly in “PPL weather”, otherwise it’s not worth it for me

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Pitot heat is unnecessary for VFR in fact I would guess that there are very few club planes with pitot heat. But to answer your question it is not working and when questioned the mechanic thought it would be around the same price or maybe a little below the cost of a heating element on the stall sensor on a DA42 c €5000.
You do not need mode S to fly VFR in CAS.
We currently have a Garmin 327? or 328? I think.
The 2nd radio is in the DA40D POH under the limitations/equipment needed section.
I included installation in my cost estimates but it is only guesswork based on a quick chat with the local avionics guy.

Last Edited by gallois at 19 Mar 11:51
France

Pitot heat is unnecessary for VFR

Only if one flies in the summer in France, and not above 1000ft 😜

You can get pitot icing in VMC, in winter, at any level.

Not legally mandatory though unless specified on the TC.

However would this really be a factor in IR adoption? Only if the whole scene is running at absolute rock bottom.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

Pitot heat is unnecessary for VFR in fact I would guess that there are very few club planes with pitot heat.

Must be a french thing, I’ve never so far flown a plane without it.

Peter wrote:

ou can get pitot icing in VMC.

Yep. I’ve had it several times. Ever since, with visible moisture and temps below 5 °C OAT my pitot heat is on.

gallois wrote:

You do not need mode S to fly VFR in CAS.

I was under the impression that in most EU countries you do. In Switzerland all airplanes operating in CAS did get mode S in recent years.

gallois wrote:

We currently have a Garmin 327? or 328? I think.

The 328 is mode S. Not sure if it is ok for IFR however, I think the 330 would be the most used version. Still, even if it’s a 327 (which is A/C only) replacing it with a TT31 or something similar is comparatively easy. I bought my TT31 in 2011 and it was installed in less than half a day, including changing the rack as it was found in bad shape (I had a KT76A so theoretically the rack could have been kept). That included wiring it up to the GNS430 for ADS-B, which again is not a requirement and actually was not even correct, but as the 430 got upgraded to a W 2 years no rewiring was needed.

gallois wrote:

The 2nd radio is in the DA40D POH under the limitations/equipment needed section.

A 2nd 8.33 radio or simply a 2nd radio which can transmit in emergency if radio 1 fails? Funny that the POH would overrule part NCO here.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Ibra wrote:

I think people are mixing “nice to have” with “legally required” for IFR

As I said I think this has a lot to do with the former legal requirements for a IFR certification per airframe which, for NCO, has now become unnecessary. With the certification, lots of countries had very different ideas what was required.

In 2014, when I did my upgrade, little did I know that my then configuration with a GNS430 and a KX155, KR86, KN64 DME and TT31 would have allowed IFR without any modification after part NCO came into effect. At the time, Switzerland required a 2 axis AP as well as a HSI and a TSO’d DME. So I had to change my DME (swapped it with a then Euroga Member who had an older 62A but did not need it as the airplane was VFR), got the Stec 55x (for the price of a Stec 30 in a deal in Friedrichshafen) and the Aspen (because it was cheaper than a normal slaved HSI). We then decided short notice to also upgrade the GNS430 to WAAS as the flight school wanted to use it to teach RNP.

Luxury? I don’t think so, but it is ok for IFR comfortably now. Eventually I will need to replace the KX155 with a 2nd 430W if I come across one and I would like to upgrade the Aspen with a Max. But that will come at a later stage if at all.

Last Edited by Mooney_Driver at 19 Mar 13:00
LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Bottom line with “equipment” and IR is that you need access to a reasonably decent plane, which is unlikely on the “club” scene. Not impossible, as somebody will quickly point out, but unlikely.

And the solution – buying your own plane – is not cheap.

Most syndicates have problems of various sorts and a common one is a lack of consensus on IFR equipment e.g. here and a lot more here.

I’ve seen a number of people go for an IR and only afterwards realise they will not be able to use it.

Must be a french thing

I think it is just a scenario in a very low mission capability level in that particular aeroclub scene, often described by the participants as flying 50 miles, on a sunny Sunday, to the next club, some food and wine, and flying back. Very little need for IFR avionics, or any other avionics for that matter, which is why the various STC generation attempts have mostly been disasters – example.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I flew IFR with one 8.33khz radio and without ADF in M20J, it’s legal for departure with 500m RVR into London Class A, it’s me who says it after reading the rules myself if anyone has a problem with that they can talk to judges or regulators….

For IR revalidation, however, I had to do it in school aircraft that are equipped with two AI, two altimters, DME, ADF, dual foot-breaks as the examiner thinks aircraft was not certified Airways (I don’t think he had a single clue what he is talking about but he is the boss)

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I have pitot heat on my plane and have never turned it on except to test that it’s still working. Prior to that I’d never flown anything that had it. I have no interest in IFR and that’s certainly a factor, but otherwise I’ve never flown, nor wanted to, in any condition that required it.

I did buy a spare heated pitot a few years ago, because it’s unique to the type and will likely be unavailable after some years. Maybe someday some future owner might need it, if the existing pitot malfunctions. €880 in 2018, not cheap although it looks that way when compared to six times that amount quoted for the unit on a Diamond, presumably including installation. That price strikes me as a joke.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 Mar 17:45

Peter wrote:

Europe has no ATP.

This is something you have stated several times and I honestly don’t understand what you’re saying. Of course “Europe” (I guess you mean EASA) has an ATPL.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message