Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CBIR / CB IR - 10 years on

@arj1 wrote

@Snoopy, yes, that is valid in the EU! Unfortunately, the UK CAA decided to say very loudly “F$^& YOU” to the interested pilots and NOT incorporate the BIR into the UK law. :(((
In the EU it works better in a sense that if you get your BIR, log your 50hr IFR PIC XC, then all you need to do is just pass the skills tests, that is if you want to fly IFR ouside the EU airspace. Otherwise, you could stay on BIR for ever (or until you need to upgrade), especially if you fly SEP – many pilots don’t fly SEPs in IMC when the RVR and/or cloud base are very low.

If you know any UK pilots who voted for Brexit, thank them 🙄.

Yes, the 50h IFR PIC after BIR is one option. Btw, it’s just one skill test incl. oral part which substitutes for the 7 theory exams.
However, the other option is to fly already 10hrs in the ATO during the BIR. With a BIR in hand, one can then go straight for another skill test to obtain the full IR.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Snoopy wrote:

Yes, the 50h IFR PIC after BIR is one option. Btw, it’s just one skill test incl. oral part which substitutes for the 7 theory exams.
However, the other option is to fly already 10hrs in the ATO during the BIR. With a BIR in hand, one can then go straight for another skill test to obtain the full IR.

@Snoopy, yes, also an option, although I read somewhere that xAAs plan to make pilot get the 10hrs at ATO only AFTER you’ve obtained your BIR.
My thinking was more in the lines of you enjoying the IFR under BIR and getting more experience.

EGTR

Ibra wrote:

Please also note that the BIR minima are susbtantially higher and it is easier to fly any aproach under BIR comparing to full IR/CBIR.

I doubt that is true? flying needles once you are stable 1000-500 is no different than 500-200 (those are my call-outs)

People make that statement all day along but likely never flown on IMCR, BIR or CBIR down to legal limits

Here is a bit of summary,
- NO SBAS LNAV, the lateral sensitivity is identical even down to 0ft, if you see what I mean
- SBAS GPS LNAV/LPV, gets sensitive near 200ft but signal is smooth and if things are stable 500ft they work to 200ft or even under
- ILS gets a bit hectic near 200ft but I doubt the 500ft skill is different from 200ft? as long as the basic are similar (flying heading & attitude rather than chasing the signal)

@Ibra, for me it is easier to get to 500+ft than 200+ft on ILS. And if you keep in mind that in some places the NPA minima is much higher, then it makes it even easier.

EGTR

@TANGO

We’ve discussed it at length here. The BIR was supposed to be completely outside ATO scope (DTO or even completely independent). Then ATOs lobbied the regulator to again be part of it, while simultaneously not offering it. A nice way to undermine things.

The good news is there are ATOs that understand the market besides „dumb airline puppy mill“ training. That market is people spending money on flying / or their own planes, and they simply can’t sit weeks in the middle of nowhere in some container for a theory course. They can’t waste time driving hours each way for a flying lesson. You can only do that to people who have no life (job, family etc..).

It took me years and countless hours but I have the structure in place to get someone flying IFR safely by focusing on what matters using the new structures EASA provides.

I’m also discussing a solution with a group of fellow IRIs to offer fast track IFR full immersion courses at a suitable location, e.g. you take your family to vacation and obtain
a BIR.

always learning
LO__, Austria

for me it is easier to get to 500+ft than 200+ft on ILS. And if you keep in mind that in some places the NPA minima is much higher, then it makes it even easier.

All I am saying you don’t need 50h dual training to learn how to fly ILS down to 200ft (if you know how to fly it to 500ft), 5 approaches with a good IRI will square it

You need 100h dual to fly NDB/VOR down to 400ft on windy days and make standard conventional departures during a test (as I said NDB is only usuable to 800ft agl)

Last Edited by Ibra at 22 Oct 12:59
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Snoopy wrote:

I’m also discussing a solution with a group of fellow IRIs to offer fast track IFR full immersion courses at a suitable location, e.g. you take your family to vacation and obtain
a BIR.

Where do I sign up ?

EBGB EBKT, Belgium

Tango wrote:

If I mention BIR half of them pretends they don’t know what I’m talking about. Should you have a suggestion for an ATO/DTO willing to do CBIR with a freelance instructor in BE (or reasonably close to the NE/NW borders for the 10h ATO part) I’m all ears.

As far as I’ve been told, lots of ATOs in NL are offering BIR. You might ask aopa.nl or directly at the ATOs close to BE, like EHMZ, EHBD…

What I did not find was an ATO willing to do the BIR theory and they kept pushing me to do the old silly 7 exams for ‘normal’ IR. I totally refused that path. Ended up doing the theory preparation remotely from a school in Prague, and started doing the exams in NL, first module done, second in two weeks. The receptionist at the exam center was puzzled and asked me what that BIR thing was…..

EHLE, Netherlands

Snoopy wrote:

Just curious, is this path using only BIR theory exams(s)?
(I personally, am happy to get the BIR and eventually think about upgrading after the 50 hours.)

EHLE, Netherlands

The school I rent from is currently preparing the paperwork to be able to teach the BIR, the owner who is also my FI/FE told me he had to submit some 3000 sheets of DIN A4 paper already as part of the process.

Once they are through, I am very heavily inclined to become one of their first customers for BIR training.

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Should we ask @Peter to move the BIR messages to the right thread?

EGTR
Sign in to add your message