Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying and Russian citizenship (Ukraine war related sanctions)

kwlf wrote:

I’d be curious to know if there are other impacts on people with Russian nationality unconnected to the administration from the sanctions?

Sure: KYC requirements form banks have been increased significantly – I know of a few banks that tell customers with Russian citizenship not to apply for financing of e.g. a house right now but rather wait some weeks until the situation (hopefully) has settled, because the process would be cumbersome for booth sides.
Same applies for visa and other actions of residency: If you do not urgently need it now you are advised to better wait.

But that is not an EU thing: In the US they put some Russian citizens on the no fly list – and as always with US no fly lists, the individual doesn’t get informed and there is not even a theoretical option to put legal actions against it. Of course, administration claims thy only put the bad guy on them – but who knows if nobody can check?

Germany

kwlf wrote:

I’d be curious to know if there are other impacts on people with Russian nationality unconnected to the administration from the sanctions?

I did not notice anything besides that my bank asked me to confirm my residence. A relative of mine who is a German student got an e-mail from her university that they will not make her responsible for the war and will treat her like any other student. They even offered her psychological aid.

Furthermore, the Federal Chancellor of Germany has recently made it very clear that it is Putin’s war and the Russian people living in Germany are not responsible for it.

Last Edited by mayday_allday at 20 Mar 10:24

mayday_allday wrote:

I did not notice anything besides that my bank asked me to confirm my residence. A relative of mine who is a German student got an e-mail from her university that they will not make her responsible for the war and will treat her like any other student.

That’s also the case with my university (Uppsala). The university has made clear that although we will break off all connections with Russian government institutions, collaborations with individual Russian scientists will be handled on a case-by-case basis.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 20 Mar 11:05
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

mayday_allday wrote:

For information, here is the translated answer from the German Ministry of transport that my aero club got after they asked them “what to do with our russian student pilot”:

Your student pilot, who has Russian citizenship, is affected by the sanctions. Accordingly, it is no longer possible to continue training to acquire, renew or extend a pilot’s license for the duration of the applicable sanctions. In this context, the sanctions also apply to the activity of the flight instructor who holds an FCL/SFCL-compliant license and rating. Accordingly, he is prohibited from conducting any form of training and verification for holders of Russian citizenship. As a result, the training of your named student pilot must be suspended until further notice. The consideration of who holds the PIC status does not lead to a different result in this context.

Is there any way to file a lawsuit against racial discrimination, putting aside the war and everything relating to it? I just want to view it as a case of a private person who got impaired of his rights because of the passport color by prejudiced opinion of a public figure. For example, when an asian of somebody from Africa is rejected to get a job due to his hands-on/professional experience – that’s a one thing. But the thing above is pure biased russophobia in the form of an official letter signed by a government worker. Basically the same thing right after 9/11, when every muslim = a terrorist. That’s definitely not free & democratic Europe fighting for liberal values or privileges of LGBT people while destroying lives and careers of russian general public.

Last Edited by igor at 20 Mar 18:41
Czech Republic

@igor, and @mayday_allday, which country are you posting from?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@Peter, my country is stated in my profile. If you need a proof, write me a private message.

@Igor, I am considering to file a lawsuit, but I need to get “OK” from my legal insurance first, because lawyers are not cheap here in Germany.

Last Edited by mayday_allday at 20 Mar 18:54

igor wrote:

Is there any way to file a lawsuit against racial discrimination, putting aside the war and everything relating to it?

Don’t be pathetic. People are dying there because of ego-trip maniac in a role or Russian president. And you’re bringing up your hobby to a level of human rights. As someone who was a victim of similar maniac 30 years ago, I can assure you that my inability to fly at that time was pretty low on list of my priorities.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I also remember very well Russian tanks in Czechoslovakia, in 1968.

We are not going to allow Russians to use our community to push their agendas.

Especially if the contribution on general aviation topics is precisely zero.

Thread locked

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
98 Posts
This thread is locked. This means you can't add a response.
Sign in to add your message

Threads possibly related to this one