Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Germany threatens to ban Telegram

Malibuflyer wrote:

Along these lines – and it would be really funny if it wouldn’t be so sad – the German federal police just announced that they consider “flooding Telegram with complains” (sic!) to interfere with their operations if they can not ban them. Shows how helpless they are in front of these new thing called “internet”…

If I were Telegram I would write a bot which automatically faxes back a receipt for every single complaint. Hit them with their own weapons!

EDQH, Germany

Frans wrote:

At least Germany didn’t ban apps that warn car drivers for speed cameras on the road.

Of course they are verboten. They are not banned in terms of you must not install them but while driving you must not use them to avoid speed cameras. The fine is only 75€ so break-even is easily achieved.

EDQH, Germany

Clipperstorch wrote:

They are not banned in terms of you must not install them but while driving you must not use them to avoid speed cameras. The fine is only 75€ so break-even is easily achieved.

How exactly is usage of said app determined?

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

Unless you are very stupid, you can‘t get caught using these apps.
Under routine circumstances, police is of course not allowed to check your phone to see whether you use anything that allows you to avoid speed cameras.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Off topic, but a few years ago French police were checking cars of Brit tourists and if they found a satnav with camera warnings, they fined the person €1000. I think the fixed systems were an easy target, even though AFAIK none have an audio output. Only phone apps and similar have audio camera warnings.

So excessive behaviour by police is not unknown.

Nothing whatever can be done about telegram. The code could even implement a VPN, like some browsers (e.g. FF and VyprVPN) are now offering, albeit at a price.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
65 Posts
Sign in to add your message