Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cheapest engine overhaul or used engine? (TCM IO-360-D) - Czech CAA demands a Form 1 for an already installed engine, and registry transfers

Glad to hear that you found an engine. Keep us updated. :)

ESSZ, Sweden

Jelen wrote:

P.S. Czech CAA requires logbook separately for plane and for engine. I thought only Germany don’t have engine log. Poland, Czech Rep., Slovakia will have engine log book.

Switzerland also has a separate engine log book, however, mounting and unmounting of engines is also logged in the airframe book.

Without proper documentation, any part or engine is worth exactly scrap value unless you can find a way to reproduce the docs or get it bench tested by someone willing to issue a release for it. With Avionics this is comparatively easy, engines would have to be done by an engine shop, which would in most cases amount to something pretty close to an overhaul anyway.

I don’t see why this is gold plating, it is simply that without a proper components list and documentation no CAA will take responsibility to issue airworthiness to something they have no way of verifying whether it is airworthy or not. Also most CAA’s require that imported airplanes are within all TBO limits, also calendar. This might throw a show stopper for the OP yet again, as the engine he sourced is not, but if I understand it properly it has a EU1 and is not imported but sourced from within the country, so it may work out.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Also most CAA’s require that imported airplanes are within all TBO limits, also calendar.

No. Not legally required under NCO/ Pt. ML for private use! Owner can run engine/prop on condition.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 22 Jan 05:57
always learning
LO__, Austria

On a registry transfer, it is usual to require engine mfg’s TBO.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Again:

Not legally required under NCO/ Pt. ML for private use! Owner can run engine/prop on condition.

To reiterate this:

You can import a third party aircraft to EASA registration with 10000hours on the engine. Even more so for intra EASA change of registration.

Last Edited by Snoopy at 22 Jan 07:16
always learning
LO__, Austria

Well it should be written somwhere, that in transfer they require all tbo in limit.

LKBU, Czech Republic

Jelen wrote:

Well it should be written somwhere, that in transfer they require all tbo in limit.

Usually legislation doesn’t tell you what is permitted, it tells you what is not permitted. That often causes grief in aviation when people think that something is done in a particular way because of old rules or tradition/practise and the only way for you to show that they’re wrong is to demonstrate the non-existance of a rule.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 22 Jan 10:19
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Anyway I called today to CAA person responsible for this, and there is no problem with expired date, but there are some steps needs to be performed for one year extension (and every next year). It is some borescopy of cylinders, and oil analysis. And my question is, where in Europe do oil analysis? I found some kits, but everything is from USA, so postal service will be pain.

LKBU, Czech Republic

Not many people do oil analysis but I do

I use Blackstone in the US. Posting is trivial – just use cheap old airmail, which in Europe is c. €5-10 and takes a week or two. Sometimes longer.

This is my last report – just arrived

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Oh, great. Thank you. I will try to contact them. Now I have new engine at home, no problem. Tomorow maybe (if my wife tells me I have free time) I will start swap engines.

Last Edited by Jelen at 22 Jan 18:37
LKBU, Czech Republic
Sign in to add your message