Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cheapest engine overhaul or used engine? (TCM IO-360-D) - Czech CAA demands a Form 1 for an already installed engine, and registry transfers

I assume it is one of those cases where the ARC is still issed by the CAA.

And I also assume that whilst the change of registration from Poland to Czech went fine, this is now the moment the ARC is due for the first time since the it is on the Czech registry.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

@boscomantico exactly!

To be clear, ARC itself is not problem, but ARC is review certificate, I don’t know how to write in english initial certificate. We call it OLZ, it means Certificate of Airworthiness and it is not limited by date, until some accident. ARC is just review of that document. And this document must be issued by CAA. ARC will be issued by CAMO ( I am not under CAMO, as private, but I can bring all papers to any CAMO organisation and they will issue ARC)
I don’t need FORM1 for ARC. But CAA said they want FORM1 for airworthiness, even if I bough plane from another EASA state. But you know, every national authority can have slightly different requirements.

I hope it is clear now :)

Last Edited by Jelen at 16 Jan 12:16
LKBU, Czech Republic

Jelen wrote:

But CAA said they want FORM1 for airworthiness, even if I bough plane from another EASA state. But you know, every national authority can have slightly different requirements.

And as the engine has not had any work done since new which requires a form one, it never had one.

Chicken and egg.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Well, that’s where **** hit the fan. Anyway it had one. Initial first form1, I wrote to TCM, and they answered me, they store these documents only for one year, and if they had it, they will provide it only to original purchaser. So, it has no one. And as soon as engine has unknown state, crankshaft is NON-VAR (there is AD on crankshaft, when engine is disassembled, crankshaft needs to be changed for VAR, maybe that would not be problem, if engine was not splitted), and other things, even if runs good, I would be more calm, if I got another engine. That’s why I am looking for anything after mid-time, and date expirated. Good for me, not good for commercial use.

LKBU, Czech Republic

I think first of all, especially if you are short of money, plus if you think your engine is sound, you should put more effort into finding another solution. A decent such exchange engine will not be cheap either nowadays. Plus freight, installation, and all the other things that can go wrong in the process. Maybe try to get a more personal contact with your CAA to better understand the reasons and possible options. If nothing helps, consider a change of registration country. Yes! While that could potentially lead to other problems, if you do your due dilligence, it does not have to. Will you need this Form 1 in order to change country of registration? Get help from somebody who really understands EASA airworthiness regulations as well as the Czech CAA reality.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

CAA now will concider my plan. One maintenance shop here is able to perform some check, remove cylinders, make inspection and issue FORM1. But this is not no.1 option for me, because every maintenance like that – disassembly, hurts engine. Decent engine for exchange will not be cheap, but definitely cheaper, than overhaul. All work with exchange will do myself, including paperwork, so there are no expenses for that. I had many meetings with them, and they just stand their opinion, they need Form1, no matter what. Also I don’t want to register it in different country, because communication with foreign CAA every year, with anything, like AMP change, ARC issuing, will be not very comfortable. Our CAA is not bad, they are actually very helpful, but this one thing is NO GO and needs to be solved.

LKBU, Czech Republic

Form 1 is such a ridiculous thing. It’s a practically worthless certificate. 100% CYA.

But, many past arguments about that here, with people from the “industry”

I am Czech too…

Make sure they torque the studs correctly, with the correct wet or dry torque value per the MM. And no crank rotation when they are off.

US overhauls are significantly cheaper than European ones. Yes you pay shipping. And you pay VAT anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am very sensitive to those torques, because on each cylinder first two cross bolts holds crankcase together, and also holds crankshaft bearings. If they are too loose, bearings can rotate and that’s beginning of end of engine. I want be there during all work, and also I will retorque those bolts myself. I don’t believe anyone in this case. :-D
Form 1 is nice thing, if plane is in commercial use, or in airlines. I issued many form 1 by myslef for Boeing, and Airbus aircrafts until today, but it is ridiculous thing for private owner and private use.

LKBU, Czech Republic

The studs should be torqued just once, not twice.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I know, and they also should be new, with new nuts.

Last Edited by Jelen at 16 Jan 16:16
LKBU, Czech Republic
Sign in to add your message