Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Where would you like to live and fly, in an ideal world?

Well, after re-reading the question, I take it all back – in an ideal world I wouldn’t have to move, because there would be no issues with living and flying where I live now ;-)

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

BeechBaby wrote:

Took the school 172 down to Key West. Instructor told me in the event of an engine failure, left of the freeway the alligators will get you, right of the freeway its the sharks.

LOL; I think I mentioned I like twins. And in the US, I could probably afford one too.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Economics and family ties aside might vote for Belluno : nice convenient location for touring Europe, ski flying and skiing, Italian food.

Also no inheritance tax in Italy although not sure how easy to get residence post Br***t

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

South-East of France: the Med, the Alps, the plains…

Plenty of food & countries to visit around

Last Edited by Ibra at 06 Dec 13:58
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I guess I just did in fact make the choice – moved from California to Nice. If your life is 90% about flying, there is nowhere like the US. It’s convenient, relatively inexpensive, there are lots of places to go and things to fly, and relatively gently regulated. There is nothing not to like.

But if life is more of a balance, and you’re not American, then… lifestyle matters too. (If you’re American, chances are you like the lifestyle there too, so it’s not an issue). Southern France was my choice and I haven’t regretted it for a moment. I miss… the convenience of flying in the US, the scenery of the great American West, my favourite True Value hardware store. That’s about it. But flying here isn’t THAT bad, and we have plenty of scenery too. Just got back from flying over a bunch of it.

LFMD, France

Belluno would certainly be good, at the base of the Dolomites I have a friend who lives in Cordenons, not too far from there, and it’s a great a place to ‘hang out’ (I was there in September for a weekend).

Slovenia and the area around Trieste in Italy would both be nice for similar reasons, with the chosen location depending on whether you like rural or a more urban environment.

Re California, the best areas IMO, particularly to be based as a pilot might be in the middle – Paso Robles, San Luis Obispo etc.

I don’t think there is a perfect place, some are a lot nicer than others but anywhere you stay long enough will show its good and bad in due course. What I like is to be based in a nice place with year round good weather and minimized government drama, neither of those factors can be readily changed, and then to travel regularly to other interesting and enjoyable places, none of them being perfect.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 06 Dec 15:39

Southeast France, or Corsica. For weather, food, culture, and flying. Otherwise, I’ll stay in Yorkshire.

EGCJ, United Kingdom

Pretty happy here in Southern California, but the high cost of living her does get on my nerves sometimes. Didn’t use to be so expensive, but now it’s gone orbital. You do get a lot of quality of life for the money and you do earn more, but it comes a cost. For aviation the US is still amazing, so no complaints there (I have a hangar at my local airport, so that’s something I don’t take for granted – I know how hard that can be to get your hands on in other places). The things I miss from Europe are culture, dress sense, food etc. I do miss English people’s humor and ability to take the piss out of themselves and others – Americans don’t really do or understand that.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 08 Dec 03:20
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message