Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Regulation EU2020/877 (all EU airports have Customs without PNR/PPR)

Ok,had a look at that 2020/877. I can’t see anything there about Schengen at all. Anyone care to explain how this works, with references to documents?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

I’ve read through it as well and cannot find anything relevant.

France

Correct. 2020/877 is not related to Schengen. As in the thread title, it is related to customs. The relevant clauses in this context (and referenced in the German customs thread) are Art 1 (16) b, which modifies 2015/2446 Art 141 (1) d.

Here is an English translation of the corresponding text in the German customs letter of Mar 3, 2022:

„ On June 26, 2020, Delegated Regulation (EU) 2020/877 of April 3, 2020 was published in the Official Journal of the European Union. The regulation entered into force on July 16, 2020.
Article 1(16)(b) of this Regulation supplements Article 141(1)(d) of Delegated Regulation (EU) 2015/2446 (the “IPC-DA”) to provide that the customs declaration for means of transport which are either.
(iv) placed under temporary admission with total relief from import duties; or
(v) released for free circulation as returned goods with exemption from import duties
released for free circulation may be impliedly released by simply crossing the border of the customs territory of the Union.
Aircraft that meet the above conditions are in temporary admission or free circulation upon crossing the border. Thus, after crossing the border, these aircraft do not have to be transported to a customs office using a customs airport (so-called obligation to transport). In these cases, an application for exemption from the customs airport requirement, combined with an application for chargeable clearance, is no longer necessary.

Translated with DeepL (https://www.deepl.com/app/?utm_source=ios&utm_medium=app&utm_campaign=share-translation

LSZK, Switzerland

Is that not roughly what is written inbthe French eAIP GEN 1 AiRCRAFT ENTRY.
But this only refers to the aircraft not to crew, passengers and personal belongings as I wrote in the other thread. So at present I can’t see anything that relates to no customs PN.

France

People movement is subject to immigration, not customs. Belongings are subject to customs regulations. But I don‘t see how crossing a border can be considered a customs declaration for the aircraft but not the occupants possessions. Otherwise how can the aircraft proceed to a non-customs airport legally without any occupants?

LSZK, Switzerland

I am not able to follow this debate any longer because it is incredibly esoteric.

I look at things practically, and I don’t see how this reg can be workable simply because

• there isn’t going to be a buy-in from the implementing officials; their jobs are under threat
  • there will always be a vulnerability (to the “passenger”) because of the continuous spectrum of what “goods” is; chflyer amplifies this point above
  • this stuff is so complicated that few implementing officials are going to understand it; remember these people are recruited (worldwide) for a certain “simple character robustness” and obedience of orders, not for their IQ
  • this proposal in some cases assists visitors from Britain, which cannot possibly have been intended

Getting back to “practically”, today I flew to EGJA and on the “Guernsey GAR” I had the wrong passport number (an old GAR I used as a template). The security man (I would love to paint a caricature, but actually he is totally normal for the job) refused a handwritten correction (remember the form is not OCRd so this would have been OK) and made me write out a whole new form by hand, which I did in handwriting so bad I could barely read it but for him it was 100% perfect, and he achieved a 10 minute “punishment” which really made his day. And I had the huge advantage of a common language; in certain countries the ELP of tourist-facing officials approaches zero. And these people are everywhere.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

chflyer wrote:

Belongings are subject to customs regulations. But I don‘t see how crossing a border can be considered a customs declaration for the aircraft but not the occupants possessions. Otherwise how can the aircraft proceed to a non-customs airport legally without any occupants?

That’s one logical conclusion. The other logical conclusion is that you cannot proceed to a non-customs airport because the aircraft has occupants with belongings subject to customs regulations. Each country is free to say they care about belongings, or not. Clearly the German customs don’t care about belongings, but that doesn’t mean all others don’t.

Consider coming from a non Schengen country. The aircraft is free to land everywhere, but the occupants are definitely not.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

As I mentioned in the other thread eAIP GEN 1 part 1 AIRCRAFT entry and exit
Part 2 CREW and Passenger entry transit and exit
Part3 Personal belongings entry and exit.
For the Schengen non EU countries eg Switzerland it is pretty straight forward that only pt 1 and pt 3 have any relevance.
Number 3 answers the questions relating to what constitutes a difference between baggage and personal posessions. It also answers @Peters questions regarding €50k Swiss watches, worn or carried.
However, there is no legal text, as far as I can find which states that a Swiss pilot does not need to pass by a customs airfield. Even though the probability is that you have nothing to declare and it is highly likely that even if customs are there you will just be waved through. It is also possible that at customs airfields which demand prior notice that they will not turn up, it is their choice.
If someone can point me towards an EU text without my having to plough through hundreds of pages I would be most grateful?
In the.absence of official text through I gave a personal opinion at the end of my recap. There are often occasions when people have forgotten the PN until the last minute and telephoned to admit they have forgotten and is there any way that they could still come. Sometimes it works, other times, not.

France

It also answers @Peters questions regarding €50k Swiss watches, worn or carried.

I can’t find that part but there could not possibly have been any “question” on that topic.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Try eAIP GEN 1 and then scroll the sections on entry -transit – exit.
Below the personal baggage paragraph there is a section dealing with the carriage of high value personal items such as watches, cameras etc.
It advises that customs could ask you to produce receipts for such items. Alternatively, of you are a regular traveller it might be worth getting a piece of paper from customs which can be used instead of receipts over a 10 year period. I have précised 🙂

France
Sign in to add your message