Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

France introduces a law mandating 12 year support for products

My old Apple colour laser printer was really a Canon in disguise. Good for graphs and things like that and quicker than an inkjet but photos were crap.
I have decided I would prefer to pay full price which is better quality and last a bit longer rather than the usual cheap throwaways.

France

Colour laser? I’ve had some. HP. Crap colours, very expensive to run, and using 3rd party refills destroys it.

My experience also. I had one before I moved. It left blue and yellow streaks all over everything it printed. The scanner had a dead pixel and put weird blotches on everything. Put it in the recycling when we left. I now have two Epson XP6105 inkjets (one at each place we spend time). Seems to work extremely well. I’ve replaced the “introductory” ink on one and no doubt will on other other one soon, afet seven months.

But if anyone wants a complete set of third-party toner for the printer, PM me… (HP277dw)

Last Edited by johnh at 08 Nov 18:41
LFMD, France

gallois wrote:

Here, artisans (they are.vey few general builders in France) must belong to URSAAF or one of the other trade type bodies and usually the Chamber of Commerce.
The body collects your health and pension payments etc and insurance. It then puts these off to a state approved and regulated insurance body. This is usually a big well funded body

I’m not sure what you mean in the context of this discussion. Neither URSSAF nor Chamber of Commerce will (finance the) repair (of) your real estate after the “artisan” that built it has died or gone into bankruptcy.

ELLX

Neither URSSAF nor Chamber of Commerce will (finance the) repair (of) your real estate after the “artisan” that built it has died or gone into bankruptcy.

I’ve no idea who paid, but when our French house needed extensive excavations to deal with damp coming in through the foundations, SOMEBODY did. ANd we knew that the builder was long since out of business. That was in about 1995. Maybe things have changed since.

LFMD, France

Most likely the building insurer paid for it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As I explained trade bodies have an agreement with certain insurance companies which are regulated and approved by the State. It is these insurance companies which are the guarantors of the warranties.
It’s a bit like all club pilots are affiliated to the FFA which has an agreement with an insurance company to cover the benefits they offer to pilots. I think its Axa at the moment.
These include death and disability benefits and the get you home service.
For tradesmen and pilots you get a copy of the insurance contract to prove you are insured and what the benefits are. You can also increase these benefits by paying extra but they are like a menu and do not differ from person to person in the way an insurance policy for an individual activity or chatel would.

France

Peter wrote:

Colour laser?

Not necessary 99.99999% of the time. We have a small lightweight inexpensive HP monochrome laser printer at home that prints page after page of excellent quality print. It doesn’t have bloatware drivers (in fact, Linux and MacOS don’t need drivers installing for it, it just works). I can even use it for toner transfer for homebrew PCB making. I took it up to the glider club when I needed it to do the ARC paperwork for our gliders.

For home printing needs, monochrome really is all you need. For the very rare occasion you need colour, just use a copy shop. The quality will be 100 times better than anything you can get at home.

Colour printers are seldom worth the hassle to have at home or in a small office. I think the small inexpensive LaserJet on our dev system at the office has been going for 15 years now.

Last Edited by alioth at 10 Nov 10:20
Andreas IOM

I do quite a bit of photographic printing. Outside shops that can get the grading I want are both rare and expensive. For snaps no problem, I can print them on a machine at the supermarket:)

France
48 Posts
Sign in to add your message