Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Customs and Immigration in Europe (and C+I where it is not published - how?)

Peter, I always thought that at both LFAC and LFAT it was good manners to land, pay a landing fee and thank them for the 6 free ILS
approaches I had just had, rather than just fly straight off.

Last Edited by quatrelle at 12 May 12:35

I agree; I was just asking the question. I have no idea what the answer is or even whether anybody actually does that.

Last I heard, no UK ATO was permitted by the CAA to train outside UK airspace (they can do it if it’s in their manual but the CAA won’t approve the manual).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m planning a flight tomorrow morning from Norwich to EDLD – SCHWARZE HEIDE
I called EDLD and they told me I need to arrange for customs to get to the Airfield. Tried calling Zollamt but they don’t respond the phone at this time, and I have no idea how much they will charge to come out.
Any suggestions where to stop enroute to clear customs/immigration?

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

Le Touquet (about €20-30) is very quick and hassle-free. Caen is €4.80 (1400kg) and just as quick but a bit off that route. Cherbourg is €10 and also very quick but obviously off that route. Those are what I use for that purpose.

Now I am not suggesting you should do this but if you are returning from Germany to the UK and need a Schengen stop, and there is a massive CB covering Le Touquet, you can make a Captain’s decision to divert to a UK airport and I don’t see how anybody is going to query that.

Last Edited by Peter at 11 Jun 15:29
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@pmh

It’s perhaps a bit late in the day, but are you sure they (EDLD) understood you correctly? Coming from the UK you need immigration, not customs. Different things and the Zollamt wouldn’t be able to help you with immigration.

thanks Peter
I was planning to cross straight over the channel just south of Amsterdam. France seems a bit out of the way – but would be nice to cross of on the list anyway.
Currently studying www.edde.de to find German alternatives.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

pmh – when you fly from UK (Norwich) to EDLD you don’t need customs, just immigrations because UK is not part of Schengen. So calling “Zollamt” is wrong – EDLD should have given you the border police telefone number. Normally the guy in charge of FIS will inform immigration (border police) when you give him your ETA before you leave Norwich ( 2h prior notice)
I think the EDLD phone number published on Internet is the airport administration office and the ladies there I guess don’t really know how the FIS on the tower runs this business.

Last Edited by nobbi at 11 Jun 15:38
EDxx, Germany

Called Niederrhein. They can do customs – handling for 29.75€. So it won’t be France this time.

pmh
ekbr ekbi, Denmark

If this still reaches you in time: EBKT is less of a detour than France, and less expensive than Niederrhein.

http://www.kortrijkairport.be/index.php?id=5&L=2

Piloting is all about compromising!

Last Edited by at 11 Jun 17:01
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

I think you can fly direct to EDLD.
The best thing would to contact local police on +492858 91810-0.
No need to stop. If you want you can contact me and I will call them.

This service would be free.

Last Edited by mdoerr at 11 Jun 17:13
United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message