Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are/were your parents GA flyers?

Yes I do have a totally aviation-involved family. And there are high chances that I would not be flying today without this background, at least not in the way I’m doing it. But who knows…

Germany

Sounds like a lot of inherited aviation interested in here. Im no exception. My father was initially danish air force pilot flying hawker hunter and later F104, then progressed to airlines B767 ect. But he shared a passion for GA and during some periods instructing in small planes alongside. I loved airplanes since I can remember and as a kid I also built and flew RC planes…

But my own GA entry was not a smooth one. About 7YO I remember a trip where my father on retrospect was a bit too enthusiastic demonstrating a virtual rollercoster of some kind and I became airsick. Didn’t want to go on small planes for a long time.

Toward the end of his professional carrier, we got an older TB9 operating from a farmstrip and I realized that GA had a lot to offer. I remember us doing trips in that TB9 around Denmark, to Germany and Sweden, cloud surfing, sightseeing ect and my joy with flying started taking off. I later flew that TB9 myself for some years before completing my RV8 and sold it off. Today I’m interested broadly in GA both experimental, certified, and also different types of flying.

THY
EKRK, Denmark

I am the first one with a pilot’s license in my family, at least in recent times. There is a distant cousin who became an ace in WWI, but that’s about it. My father and a not-so-distant cousin dreamt about flying, but no one ever got up to it. My father tried to become a helicopter pilot with the German Army, but was not accepted. He then went on to become a doctor, but contrary to the chliché never took up flying. He enjoys flying, though, and we went for a few rides with the proverbial dentist friend of his when I was little. Now, after I got my license, my parents and brother enjoy flying with me, but no one else got one.

EDXN, ETMN, Germany

My father worked in the aircraft industry from age 16 and was on the preliminary design staff of a well known aircraft manufacturer by age 28…. At which point they closed down. He then bounced around in his work for a while but that provided an unusual opportunity: one of his ex-employers felt he owned my dad a favor having seen him leave in negative circumstances several years before, and he’d bought a new plane to learn to fly. So he offered the plane to use for free, and my dad finally got his license. He’d been an aircraft nut since childhood, won international rubber power model championships as a kid etc.

The guy that offered the plane eventually flew into a hill scud-running but we were in the US by that time. We had a family C150 for some years in which I solo’d on my 16th birthday. Later my dad built a composite homebuilt and flew that for a while, but then sold it when moving house to retire from both work and flying. I eventually got my pilot certificate in my own plane long after that and having been around aircraft so much earlier on, I was not intimidated by buying the plane to complete my training.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 19 May 15:01

For me, zero exposure to GA before the PPL at 20.

English grandparents were RAF in WW2, and I was a plane-obsessed kid, reading Biggles books and the occasional birthday trip to Duxford or Middle Wallop air museums. I used to like going to market, as the road passed the aéro-club and occasionally there would be a plane taking off or landing, which was very very exciting Years later, when I learnt to fly there, the club welcomed me with open arms.

Age 15 I joined a gliding club in the UK, but didn’t enjoy it. The people were slightly odd, and I’d spend a 6-8 hour day waiting for an instructional flight which could be as short as one circuit (or never happen).

I would have done anything to fly as a child, but talking to other pilots they generally say their children aren’t really interested. This is apparent in the aéro-club membership list, where only 10% of the 60 pilots have the same surname: 1 husband and wife, 1 father and son, 1 brother and sister. Two more have children flying for Air France.

I’m surprised it’s so low, as French schools offer extra-curricular aviation classes in partnership with the local club (the brevet d’initiation aéronautique) and for under 21s there are grants from the FFA and half price membership. Maybe the age profile of GA pilots means most learn to fly when their children are already grown up?

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Caught the bug from my uncle who flew helicopters & hercules in his service, my first ride at age of 6 year old was 15min in military Bell 205 on families & friends open days, I cried whole day and hate it to death, my second ride maybe at 10 years old, was in some aeroclub C152, first love from the first touch , then I went gliding, military flying and local aeroclub flying for years, only in recent years where I discovered that one can travel UK to Greece in TB20 after reading one of Peter trips reports, for some reasons, I had the impression one needs a CJ4+ to fly that, but never mind !

Parents never flew, never had the money to fly and never liked to fly when offered…
The two grand parents enjoyed every bit of it, something to do with age !

Last Edited by Ibra at 19 May 10:04
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

My parents didn’t fly (in communism, they spent years saving up for a B&W TV) but my mum got a flight with me c. 1965. I didn’t get into it until many years later.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No direct family background in aviation (but my grandpa flew a Bf109 during the war).

I started my passion as the typical 12 yr. “Hangaround” at the local glider club and pestered my parents long enough to py the membership fee – paid for my flights there by mowing the lawn, etc.

Germany

My dad was a real cheapskate, for entertainment we would go to the airport just to watch the planes, he didn’t have the money at that time to fly. Never got over it Later in life I taught him to fly, I think we did about 150 hours or so together, quite a few of them upside down.
Probably the best things we did together.

Ted
United Kingdom

My dad has been a private pilot (airplane) for nearly 50 years now. He went into helicopters before retirement and is now an FI (H) too.
The saturdays at the airfield and reading the travel articles in Info Pilote (to Alaska, North Cape, Morocco) gave me the bug
I should admit he paid for 90% of my PPL.

My brother is bug-free though.

LFOU, France
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message