Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Farway Common for sale

http://farwaycommon.com/fieldinfo.html

This airfield is for sale, just 9 miles of East of Exeter. Nice base for the fixed gear aircraft owner, and for the price of a typical suburban house.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

RobertL18C wrote:

and for the price of a typical suburban house.

Which suburb?

Perranporth was for sale a few years ago, IIRC for around 1.5 million, but for some reason the sale did not go ahead.

Biggin Hill

@Cobalt apparently detached homes in the SE average around £900k, which is the cost of this airfield. It also includes the house and hangar. Given location and acreage seems good value as real estate.

If you do have a small airfield, and this one would suit a Cessna 182 or Cherokee 235, am guessing there is a need to sit on a tractor to mow the grass every few weeks? Also does it need manning, how is PPR enforced, what liability is there if there is an accident? The size of the hangar suggests you could get some rental income as well.

I suspect a farm strip that is more Super Cub friendly, and not on the VFR apps, is easier to manage.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Appears to be sold already!

EDLN/EDLF, Germany

RobertL18C wrote:

how is PPR enforced

Simple if I owned the airfield: it wouldn’t be. The first thing I’d do would be to remove the PPR requirement.

Andreas IOM

Looks like he may have sold it since it says it is closed until further notice. Well, “sold” in the UK means different things… the most it will be at this stage is “under offer”.

Problem with no PPR is that local schools will be doing low passes and p1ss off your neighbours.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I think one of the few ways to solve the local school issue is have a runway short enough to put them off.

Peter wrote:

Problem with no PPR is that local schools will be doing low passes and p1ss off your neighbours.

You don’t need PPR to do a low pass. You’re never touching the property. If you don’t have an ATZ there’s nothing you can do to stop local schools from doing a low pass over your airstrip. Is it a real problem, or one of those hypothetical “If we did away with PPR, they would…” situations? Jacko doesn’t require PPR for his airstrip – he doesn’t seem to have an issue with the school at Prestwick doing low passes over his airstrip!

Last Edited by alioth at 27 Apr 12:56
Andreas IOM

alioth wrote:

If you don’t have an ATZ there’s nothing you can do to stop local schools from doing a low pass over your airstrip.

I would call them and politely ask them to not use up the noise goodwill budget unnecessarily. And perhaps strike a deal for preferential landing fees for training to build a good relationship. That should normally do the trick…

Biggin Hill
9 Posts
Sign in to add your message