Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Parking a car at the airport, permanently

I think we can all agree that Peter's original idea was terrible. Sort of like an engineering thought gone wrong.

Owning things in countries you like to vaccation in tend to limit your options dramatically on where to go on holidays or weekend trips.

That would actually be my number one gripe as well! Jeppview lists 13,495 airports Worldwide. Now why would an aircraft owner want to confine themselves to just one airport.

Now why would an aircraft owner want to confine themselves to just one airport.

It very often has to do with expats who want to have something in their old home world. I see this a lot around here that people will be willing to save every penny to build the house of their dreams in their native country with the idea of moving back there when they retire. Not many do and those who do sometimes get the biggest let down of their lifes when they find the place they move back to not what they imagined with the pink glasses of 30 years absence. A tragedy really in many cases, when people could have enjoyed their lifes and salaries but instead invested in a castle on a cloud.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

But with a car, the maximum liability is going to be what you paid for the car - a few hundred €.

Very funny. The maximum liability is unlimited. I can tell you stories about my holiday home car and how I had fun with the administration. It would be a very long story though.

A holiday home is a nice thing to have. The most important aspect is how to get there. If that is already difficult / expensive / lengthy, then you won't enjoy it. If a lengthy GA flight (more than 4h) was the best way to get there, I would not want to own it.

Achim,

last time: 7 hours total flight time and 3 landings involved. ZRH-KFT-BEG-PDV-LBPR...

VFR to Bulgaria 2011

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Forget a car, I just want to get a decent folding bike after my last taxi experience at Gloucester. Taxi costs for a 3 mile trip to Cheltenham station (an easy bike ride) was £13 on a Friday and £17 on a Sunday. I paid less in landing and parking fees at the airport than I did for taxis for a very short trip to the train station. That's even more expensive than taxis in the Isle of Man (which are recognised to be unusually expensive).

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

I am not aware of a law making it illegal to park a car indefinitely on a public road (unless prohibited, obviously)

In Luxembourg, there is. Well, it is forbidden to abandon a vehicle or a wreck on a public road. And abandonment is one month (8 days on a major road outside of “agglomération” meaning a village/town/city) staying at the same place and they couldn’t contact you, or you didn’t move the car after they told you to. The penalty for that is actually quite harsh, the same as fleeing the scene of an accident!

There is also something I cannot immediately find again about a much shorter delay in the form of the obligation to move any parked-on-public-road vehicle at least that many meters every that many days; which in my mind is meant as “we reserve the right to change the parking rules temporarily (for works) or permanently with that much prior notice”.

ELLX

Wow, a five year old zombie thread reanimated ;-). Several countries do have their special things, like Germany where you could in principle let a car park at curbside as long as it is registered, but if somebody raises a ‘no parking’ sign they legally can tow you after 3 days.

Funnily enough I did a google on this today and could not find anything applicable for the UK.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you fly to Mallorca often enough, there’s a service where the keep your ‚holiday car‘ throughout the year, and charge the battery.

I have solved it differently. We have friends who keep the car and pick us up.

Safe landings !
EDLN, Germany

Peter wrote:

Funnily enough I did a google on this today and could not find anything applicable for the UK.

Oh yes, Peter, there is. Keep Googling. IIRC it’s something like a week in London. May well be local regs.

Sign in to add your message