Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Parking a car at the airport, permanently

Good choice - probably the most ignorable (is that a word?) large motorcycle ever built.

Used to be standard bike of the German police. Buy one from their auctions and keep the blue light on and it will be less ignorable

Maybe you need a Saratoga and this

[The "share" URL works better - just drop it into your post as it is]

Biggin Hill

I'm sorry for slight thread drift, but can anyone answer this:

As mentioned above, 'courtesy cars' are common in the US and on a prolonged cross country you can always choose an airport / FBO combination where one is available.

But the question is, how can a foreigner be insured in such a car? No UK insurer will touch it, even those who offer 'rental car' insurance (they mean rentals, not loaners). FBO's will often insist such a car is insured, but I suspect in their favour, not yours, and then only state minimums if any.

I wondered about this the other day, looking up from my courtesy car at a huge hoarding erected at a busy intersection "Hit by a foreign driver? Call us xyz lawyer co." Hmmm.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom

As mentioned above, 'courtesy cars' are common in the US and on a prolonged cross country you can always choose an airport / FBO combination where one is available. But the question is, how can a foreigner be insured in such a car?

The 'courtesy car' will likely be insured by the owner personally, and the insurance will cover anybody he lets drive it who has a driver's license. If you want to be doubly safe get an international driver's license, which is not big deal - I get one once a year for my travels, for $25.

Most such cars however will be covered for liability only, so if you wreck the car you buy it. If you dent it, given that it might only be worth $1500, many owners just aren't going to care much.

Parking cars at airports you fly to a lot is one of those examples where in most cases the old paradigm actually works: "If it flies, drives, floats or f***s it is always cheaper to rent".

While many of us have proven to ourselfs any anyone else concerned that this is not true for a reasonably used airplane, it mostly will be for such a parked vehicle unless you fly there basically every other week and stay for several days.

The cost of upkeep, insurance and so on is one affair, the other is that often enough if you come back after the winter season, you spend the first several days to run after insurance renewal, technical review and to get anything repaired which is broken or got eaten by the local wildlife or other friendly folk who needed a sparepart.

Looking at the rental car prices I paid recently in, say, Spain, this would be a total exercise in futility. I had rentals on the Canaries for less than €100 a week and more recently for €45 for 3 days in Mallorca... ok, it was a Smart but still.

So unless you use it a great lot, such as at least for say 8-10 weeks a year, I'd think renting is much easier.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

"If it flies, drives, floats or f***s it is always cheaper to rent".

That's true only if you don't care who else is flying, driving, or f******g it

Having the knowledge that nobody else is flying, driving, or f******g it can be worth a great deal

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I park my spare car (a 1985 Volkswagen syncro crew cab) in the hangar at Hassfurt airfield. It is protected from the elements and locked away. I fly there nearly every other weekend if possible (except icing, flooding or hospital). I have a campervan top for it and use it for holidays too. There is no car rental there and I have too much stuff for a train ride. A taxi is quite an amount for more than 20 miles driving one way.

United Kingdom

True Peter.

We found that with our car in BG, which is garaged, used a lot over the year, we do pay significantly more for insurance and upkeep than we would if renting cars for the time we are there. But it does involve hiring people to do the work for you unless you want to waste lots of time first getting your license, insurance and maintenance before you can sit in and drive. Apart, parking it at the airport (and which one would that be if you have 4 of them which are useable for different purposes and time of year) is a non starter, the car is 100 NM away by average and first has to be driven or us driven to it in order for us to use it. In summer we'd need it at the sea side, in winter in Sofia (as there is no other airport active) and our base is in Plovdiv...

For us, with a lot of time spent there, it still does make sense. Elsewhere I'll go for a rental any time unless I have one airport I operate to on a monthly basis.

Another byline:

Owning things in countries you like to vaccation in tend to limit your options dramatically on where to go on holidays or weekend trips. They create massive amounts of work, will take lots of your valuable vaccation time (in our case by now 90%) and cost massive amounts of money. Lots of people fall into this trap, so did we. Since we own a place in BG, we have hardly spent any time elsewhere and have spent sufficient money to have travelled the world 5 times over in stately luxury. For us, as it is part of our retirement plan, this might work out eventually but I'll tell you, it is pure frustration a lot of times. In fact, it even makes owning the airplane questionable, as 90% of the time our destination can not be reached VFR (nor light IFR) as well as the cost of doing so is massive. And it has prevented us from travelling to much more realistic and closer destinations quite effectively knowing there is this tar baby sitting there needing more and more attention.

I would certainly agree that keeping a holiday home is a really bad idea, in most cases. Most people I know who have had one got shot of it and were very happy to have unloaded the burden. But with a car, the maximum liability is going to be what you paid for the car - a few hundred €.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But with a car, the maximum liability is going to be what you paid for the car - a few hundred €.

Yea, plus the fact that you have to land at the same airport. If you divert or go elsewhere, the car is in the wrong place.

Sign in to add your message