Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Island airport mentality in covid / coronavirus times

This is why the Scilly Isles don’t need GA…

Admittedly April 2021 is not a representative month, with CV19 depressing normal airline traffic, but that is a lot of flights! A huge amount of ££££ being made on that run. Also at the Lands End airport.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I went to Norderney last weekend. No problem with a stay of less than 48 hours. The place was heaving – I would guess ca 100 aircraft parked.

Last Edited by Peter_Mundy at 16 Jun 14:13
EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

EGHE is now again open to day trips. Open 8am, close 6:30pm local time. Latest departure 6pm because they want you out of their ATZ by 6:30

How did the N German islands manage with the coronavirus situation?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

L2166/21
AD UNABLE TO ACCEPT VISITING GA. LOCALLY BASED GA OUT OF HOURS
INDEMNITIES WITHDRAWN DUE ADJACENT AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS

Just tell them on the phone you can fly above FL100 while holding your breath (but you may need Cardiff or Exeter as alternates for IFR this time )

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Jun 14:36
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

On these dates you would have needed a long over water flight to get there anyway, with the G7 NOTAM blocking Cornwall.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

L2166/21
AD UNABLE TO ACCEPT VISITING GA. LOCALLY BASED GA OUT OF HOURS
INDEMNITIES WITHDRAWN DUE ADJACENT AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS

It isn’t closed currently, I believe, although it is closed for day trips (you have to give them the hotel name). And it is only after 17th May that hotels were able to legally open in the UK. Before that, it was only “self contained” accommodation.

I suggest phoning them up to check.

Administrator

Does anyone have a recent PIREP from Scilly Isles? I don’t see any NOTAMs saying it’s closed to GA anymore, but does anyone know if they are still enforcing restrictions in reality?

EGBJ and Firs Farm, United Kingdom

It’s been suggested this one may be related to the G7 summit at Newquay EGHQ but that’s many miles away.

I think the problem is that so much money is being made by the “commercial airline” ops. It is the same on Alderney, where – according to locals – a couple pays close to £1000 for a round trip to Southampton. The local population has plenty of money floating around (wealthy retired people, I guess, and that’s probably true for many islands around Europe) and they pay these rates. They also try to use private pilots when possible, obviously, which is another reason these airports are trying to make life hard for GA… they get a lot of money from the “airlines”.

Same at Land’s End EGHC. That incidentally has the same notam now. They never liked GA much either, with GA banned from their instrument approaches. That airport has had millions spent on it, and most of their traffic is to the Scilly Isles. They are the other end of the “money sausage”.

Administrator

Only when the council looks at the economics of running the airport and decides that it can’t afford to subsidise the running of it will the management be more business focused. The ending of fixed wing operations will have a dire effect on the tourist trade and not only put the airfield management out of work but will have a knock on effect on the islands economy. My suspicion is the airfield management felt they had to be seen to be doing something about Covid 19 and like a lot of public servants doing something stupid and pointless was better than doing nothing at all.

Wow, these islands really cherry pick what suits them.
How come this seems familiar…nevermind, can’t remember.

always learning
LO__, Austria
32 Posts
Sign in to add your message