Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Island airport mentality in covid / coronavirus times

this is a private initiative by the airport manager

As it was written in the report it was not the airport staff but a random person at a random place who expressed his lack of happiness. It reminds me a bit of publishing negative reviews of a restaurant because another guest wasn’t that kind to me.

Honestly, in my view: When travelling to a place and someone is not happy about it, get over it. Writing that the whole island is unfriendly because of that and basically recommending not going there is a bit overdone.

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

@MikeWhiskey agree

If the UK had adopted the border controls it has now in March 2020 (it would have been extraordinary if it had had the preparedness on test and trace of Korea) it would be a CV19 controlled industrial economy benefiting like Taiwan from its island status.

Possibly saving half a trillion from the money tree (burdening our grand children) and 100,000 lives plus – no need to wait for the enquiry any fule kno this is self evident

Now some islander with no ICU beds and no easy links to the mainland is
feeling paranoid, that doesn’t seem unreasonable!

Some moron in Guernsey broke quarantine (usual pubs and supermarket runs) and was traced to 400 infections, some of them going to ICU, when Guernsey was CV19 free. Only got fined £10k but probably caused several million £ in damage.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

Guernsey however isn’t just the airport. You could not visit via the ferry either. I am talking about island airports which closed to GA, while you could visit by ferry or even via commercial flights.

Last year, the Scilly Isles airport disallowed day trips. You had to stay overnight. Can anyone think of why that might be – other than the result of a deal with the council which wanted to generate revenue for the hotel business?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Fighting the pandemic means, amongst others, reducing mobility and thus the spreading of
the virus. That obviously means that there are various ways to (try to) get that achieved.

LSZF Birrfeld, LFSB Basel-Mulhouse, Switzerland

Peter wrote:

I am wondering whether the administrations of these places are acting legally.

The airport is private property. The owner of the airport can set any restriction they like – so yes, what they are doing is entirely legal – and it’s not comparable to Hampshire trying to fence off the county of Hampshire.

Andreas IOM

Peter wrote:

I intentionally did not mention say the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man which, like some other islands around Europe, have their own “government”.

It’s an actual government – not an in-quotes government. The Isle of Man and the various Channel Islands have bona fide governments and legal systems, and enjoy considerably more independence than, say, the devolved administrations of the UK (e.g. Scotland). Basically, they have all the trappings of sovereignty without the actual inconvenience of sovereignty itself!

The Isle of Man is (last time I looked) open for GA for island residents, but under the current border restrictions, anyone arriving from anywhere is required to drive directly home and quarantine for 2 weeks (if they have the three tests at day 1, 7 and 12, I think it is) or 3 weeks if they don’t want to be tested. For non-residents, you can’t fly in, but that’s true of whether you arrive by boat or airline, it’s not specific to GA.

Last Edited by alioth at 03 Apr 16:56
Andreas IOM

I phoned up the Scilly Isles. Open to GA now but day trips banned (presumably as a council deal with their hotel lobby, to channel £££ to the hotels) but with the law banning hotels except self contained self catering, and with even the campsite closed because the toilet/washing block not being classed as self contained, this isn’t of much use

A pity, since with night temp of -3C this would be a chance for some of us to grow some proper body hair

Administrator

I once did some work with/for the Isles of Scilly Council. Was just like stepping back into the 19th century.. That’s how they like it there..

EGKH, United Kingdom

Scilly EGHE:

L2166/21
AD UNABLE TO ACCEPT VISITING GA. LOCALLY BASED GA OUT OF HOURS
INDEMNITIES WITHDRAWN DUE ADJACENT AIRSPACE RESTRICTIONS

I phoned them and the above is wrong. They accept GA but no day trips; you have to have accommodation booked.

Administrator

Is the Scilly Isles like the channel island or Manx, with their own govt?
Can you visit by ferry or by sailing boat?

Sign in to add your message