Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Cars (all fuels and electric)

LeSving, what people have been calling “pump” is the whole machine with four nozzles. In precise technical terms you are right that this machine has four pumps.

ELLX

LeSving wrote:

That wasn’t the point in this discussion. The point was how many individual pumps (or nozzles if you prefer) of one specific fuel exist in one gas station vs how many individual chargers exist. The amount of pumps you actually can use with your car is obviously well below the total amount of pumps.

The average gas station has 6+ multi-nozzle pumps, so 6+ cars at the time with average 10 min spent (payment included). How many electric cars can be served across given time period on average filling station having in mind that they have to spend at least 40 min there? I’d like to see you managing flow on (future) Croatian filling stations towards seaside in July and August handling stream of electrical vehicles arriving from all over Europe.

On average 200.000 foreign cars enters (drives and exits) Croatia each of these months which is increase of more than 10% comparing to total number of cars in the country. Having in mind that majority of domestic cars is passive (in terms of travelling to seaside) the increase in traffic (and demand for fuelling/charging stations) is much higher. On average non-summer month Croatian highways have traffic around 3 mil cars (plus trucks and motorcycles). On average summer month the traffic is 5.5 mil cars. I can’t imagine working and profitable solution for such short-period spike if all those cars (or significant percentage) are electric.

Last Edited by Emir at 10 Aug 10:12
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

This is basically what we call a “1st World problem”

The rest of the world just carries on happily burning coal and laughing at the bourgeoisie up in the frozen wastes of the north, screwing itself into Net Zero which is achieved only by purchasing loads of carbon credits from the proletariat residing below 35N

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

The rest of the world just carries on happily burning coal and laughing

Like Chinese are laughing when Chinese construction companies (heavily subsidised by Chinese government) are collecting EU money building roads and bridges in Croatia and Bosnia getting public tenders over local companies that can’t be subsidised by local governments according to EU regulation.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

If I take your €100,000 figure
In one year at 3% I would receive €3000 minus tax which at the sort of figure I am investing would also mean wealth tax.
But let’s say tax at 10% leaving me with a figure of €2700 pa. over 10years providing no change in tax rates.
I will not include commission costs on buying and selling the Treasury Bills.
Before doing the comparison I will say that I am thinking of installing a domestic system more suited to my needs, than I am thinking of doing a commercial system. Therefore I am looking at a much lower cost than the €100,000 so the figures are extrapolated.
Also the figures are based on the current French government position on solar panels and current prices. They are based on the daylight expected and modelled in my area of France. And finally they are based on my own fiscal situation. Eg I am not in any great need of capital.
€ 100,000 would buy me an approx 30Kwc of solar panels and inverters plus connection to the EDF/EDRF network.
The panels have a guarantee of 25years and the inverters are guaranteed 20years. In case of.a fault or failure the panel or inverter will be replaced with a new part not repaired.
My electricity bill for the next year will be around €5000 with the 10% increase for the next year.
I use approximately 22,000 units per annum.

In the first five years due to government grants, tax allowances and subventions some €15000 would be returned to me.
Computer modelling based on the last 5 years records in this location and the seasonal changes in both usage and possible production indicates that the surplus over the year for 30Kwc system would be 36850 units.
Under a guaranteed contract over a period of 20 years EDF with pay a minimum price per unit. That minimum price is the price on the day you sign the contract. This week that was €0.13 per unit.
So the income on selling my surplus would be 36850 x €0.13 = €4790
Tax at 10% would leave €4311 pa.
On top of this I would be saving on my electricity cost of around €4500 pa allowing for standing charges (abonnements)
So over the first 10 years the ROI would be
€15000 + €43110 + energy cost savings of €45000 total = €103110.
Not allowing for any inflation in energy price over those 10 years.
So it would be correct to say that on a 10year cycle with zero inflation Government Bonds would support a better rate of return.
But in the 2nd 10 year cycle the solar panels give a much greater return.
Any inflation will help the Solar investment much more than a fixed rate Government Bond.
But each to his own. (I love that phrase)

France

LeSving wrote:

I would say, but the “social acceptance factor” is not very high on my list of priorities

In my social circles I would say the car make and model has has zero social acceptance relevance. Well, maybe on the negative side if you buy a Porsche 911.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Top 10 most-depreciating second-hand cars are all electric

The Daily Dirt Digger

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Top 10 most-depreciating second-hand cars are all electric

AFAIU the figures they mention is the price drop of used cars compared to last year. I don’t see any mention of depreciation compared to the price of the car as new.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hmmm so the cars hold their price until they become secondhand and only then they fall rapidly.

That totally beats my reasoning powers

Administrator

The 100k$ example above is hard to imagine. I hope your neighbour did not get ripped off @silvaire

She did not. The $100K figure includes multiple battery packs which I understood to be $10K per unit, and it’s a big house with lots of AC load and therefore lots of panels. You can do a basic Solar system for my smaller house for $30K but with no batteries, so it doesn’t allow you to largely isolate from the grid if you want to e.g. charge your car at night, and the credit/price/terms the utility is paying for energy delivered to the grid are slowly getting worse – they can’t buy infinite amounts of solar during the day, and charge your car with natural gas power at night. People are in that way motivated to be largely independent via batteries. I’d budget $60K to do my house.

My current rate of return on 1 year US treasuries is 5.4% and is subject to a reduced tax burden (no state tax, only Federal). That works out to $270 a month on $60K, minus Federal income tax only, and you keep the principal.

Who do you dislike most (or least): China or Elon ? That’s the question

I avoid Chinese stuff more than most people (would not buy a Cirrus or Diamond or Continental engine) and I like Elon Musk: eccentricity can be a virtue, and he’s a fellow immigrant to the US with many shared values. He did once say that Tesla had invented something that I had been doing for about 10 years, and on a technical level I don’t think he is that strong, personally.

I won’t be buying a Tesla regardless, as they are an expensive electric car that is thereby exactly the opposite of what I want to spend my money on. Inexpensive and effective is what I buy in new cars, then I run them until they’re almost dead and spend the money saved on better things. My wife’s car will go even longer since she drives less: bought used for $9500 in 2011, still looks good and is worth $6000 or so at 24 years old.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 10 Aug 14:52
Sign in to add your message