Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Brussels blocking UK from using EGNOS for LPV - and selection of alternates, and LPV versus +V

Somebody at PPL/IR told me that, admittedly a while ago

No request for a correction has been received.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A statement from Jersey

Over recent weeks we have been reading the posts on social media regarding the UK’s access to EGNOS beyond 25th June.
We feel it’s important to clarify with operators/readers that the Channel Islands isn’t impacted by this situation. Here is a statement from the Jersey Director of Civil Aviation (DCA);
“It has been disappointing to read the news that UK’s participation in EGNOS Safety of Life Service will cease on 25th June this year following departure from the EU and the end of the Transition Period. I wish to clarify the position on behalf of the Channel Islands, which is not impacted by this change. The ANSP for the Channel Islands has a direct Agreement with the European Satellite Services Provider (ESSP) Sociētē par Actions Simplifiēe (SAS) for this service, therefore LPV procedures post 25th June will remain available at Channel Islands airports.”

Guernsey and Alderney are expected to issue a similar statement.

The Channel Islands were never in the EU to start with.

Administrator

Given the atrocious lack of LPV approaches in the UK and lack of enthusiasm for their roll out by the CAA not sure it really matters.

Can someone clarify please, is this just a “legal” thing, or would there be a real downgrade in LPV performance if, hypothetically, one was to fly a out of date procedure after 25th June?

EGNS, Other

PeteD wrote:

Given the atrocious lack of LPV approaches in the UK and lack of enthusiasm for their roll out by the CAA not sure it really matters.

Can someone clarify please, is this just a “legal” thing, or would there be a real downgrade in LPV performance if, hypothetically, one was to fly a out of date procedure after 25th June?

There will be no LPV approaches in the UK – they will be removed from the databases.

EGTR

arj1 wrote:

There will be no LPV approaches in the UK – they will be removed from the databases

I was referring to out of date databases that still contained the approaches…as an aside, i presume the GTN visual(LPV like performance) approaches will still work and be available(as they are provided by Garmin)?

Last Edited by PeteD at 03 Apr 16:07
EGNS, Other

PeteD wrote:

I was referring to out of date databases that still contained the approaches…

I can’t see why it shouldn’t.

PeteD wrote:

as an aside, i presume the GTN visual(LPV like performance) approaches will still work and be available(as they are provided by Garmin)?

… unless the British authorities in their inifite wisdom disable the EGNOS stations in the UK?

EGTR

Both the Garmin GTN navigators and Avidyne provide +V outside the service volume of SBAS. The +V is advisory only and Visual approaches are for use in visual conditions only.

KUZA, United States

I was referring to out of date databases that still contained the approaches

It depends on what the GPS does. I think most of them stop displaying approaches on an expired database after about 2 months. Here you go.

However, there is some inertia. The CAA won’t remove the LPV IAPs from the AIP until it is clear (in June) that an agreement with Brussels will not be reached. Jeppesen will then follow the AIP, with a bit of a delay. Then the GPS box will implement some delay before not allowing the LPV one to be loaded anymore, and that assumes you have not updated the database. If you update the database on each AIRAC cycle, you will lose LPV sooner.

Both the Garmin GTN navigators and Avidyne provide +V outside the service volume of SBAS.

With latest software, apparently, and according to AOPA UK this doesn’t work according to Garmin UK!

The +V is advisory only and Visual approaches are for use in visual conditions only.

I doubt that will concern many

AFAIK the +V guidance goes all the way to tarmac.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

AFAIK the +V guidance goes all the way to tarmac.

Right thru any obstacles too! No guarantees you won’t hit something below the MDA.

KUZA, United States

“Right thru any obstacles too! No guarantees you won’t hit something below the MDA.”

Maybe I’ve missed something….thought you needed to be be visual to descend below MDA/DA? Certainly was in my day!

Last Edited by PeteD at 03 Apr 23:32
EGNS, Other
Sign in to add your message