Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Ireland LPV progress

Ireland seems to have made some good progress implementing LPV at last. Up from 2 airports last year to 5, and forecast to complete all 8 instrument equipped airports by the end of this year. Nothing compared to the rollout in other large countries perhaps but nice to see it happen. It may make Ireland a more attractive option for EASA instrument training. Many of these airports aren’t very busy.

I was a bit surprised that Sligo got theirs before Donegal which has daily commercial flights using only an NDB.

Also I only spotted today that the ESSP tracker map for LPV has been updated with all UK approaches removed. Elsewhere is now a sea of green.

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom

DavidC wrote:

Also I only spotted today that the ESSP tracker map for LPV has been updated with all UK approaches removed

This quite frankly should be an enomous embarrassment to the UK.

Andreas IOM

DavidC wrote:

Also I only spotted today that the ESSP tracker map for LPV has been updated with all UK approaches removed. Elsewhere is now a sea of green.

For the convenience of others, I am supposing David that you are referring to this
It certainly is embarrassing as far as UK is concerned.

Rochester, UK, United Kingdom

UK LPV thread.

Nobody I know has any idea what led to this; obviously the UK would have preferred to retain Brussels’ authorisation for the “safety of life approval” (which is actually a totally artificial construction anyway) which enables it to legally use the EGNOS signal (which remains available) for LPV. Now you can use it only for the +V “glideslope”. As the linked thread above shows, the actual loss to GA is negligible because you have the +V.

Ireland is doing well to get this sorted out. Their applicable traffic levels are amazingly low – as is immediately obvious to anyone flying there. Airliners use INS / ILS anyway.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
4 Posts
Sign in to add your message