Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What do visitors to the UK find most confusing?

... by only allowing one aircraft on the final approach at a time

In Germany, the rule is: Only one aircraft flying IFR inside airspace F. This means, that an aircraft on final approach will hold up IFR departures until he is either on the ground or cancels IFR.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I have read in this months Flyer magazine, that the CAA have introduced the first Radio Mandatory Zone. See more information here.

I generally don't have issues with doing things by the book for the purposes of safety, but along with CTA's, CTR's, MATZ, TMZ, RMZ, airspace classes, gliding areas, danger areas, restricted areas, AIAAA areas and anything else I have missed off, oh and notams for "free falling balloon's", I kind of feel like planning a VFR route of any substantial distance is like playing that Minesweeper game on the PC nowadays.

Have the rest of Europe, or the world suddenly started creating RMZ's. Have the CAA pushed this just one step too far?

It's not just the visitors that find the UK confusing ;-)

One thing I noticed while flying a portion VFR in the UK is that if the G airspace is limited above you by some controlled airspace starting at 1500 feet, the ICAO rule is that the 1500 feet itself does not belong to the controlled airspace but to the airspace below. I flew exactly 1500 feet on the autopilot on the right QNH and they told me I was busting their airspace. I refused to accept this but flow a bit lower. Then on the ground I called and even filed a complaint afterwards, which they did not follow up on.

EDLE, Netherlands

I was thinking about installing a potentiometer next to my transponder to "adjust" the altitude display for such cases...

I was taught it is good airmanship to keep a certain distance from airspaces and not fly like a cowboy. Same holds true for not directly heading towards airspaces but show in advance that you are aware of it and also do not taxi fast to a holding point but start to slow down well in advance to not make the ground controller nervous.

I don't think it is smart to fly at 1500ft when that is the boundary of the airspace. It's easy to make a mistake and with that kind of sophism all you get is an annoyed controller that will get you busted in case you make a mistake.

Well, actually the situation was different as I was handed over from one controller to the next. The earlier controller told me I could climb to 1500 feet but not above, so I did, then after handover I was told by the second controller that I was busting their airspace. The 1500 feet kept me just clear of some scattered clouds just below me, which is why.

EDLE, Netherlands

... and they told me I was busting their airspace.

When I was in the UK two weeks ago for my simulator recurrent training, our instructor looked up the regulations regarding level busts for us: In the UK an altitude deviation of 300ft or more is considered to be a level bust. So whatever you were doing was not a level bust.

Personally, especially in a single, I have always flown and will always fly and have always instructed and will always instruct to fly at the highest possible altitude. If 1500ft are allowed, I fly at 1500ft. Nobody ever complained.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Personally, especially in a single, I have always flown and will always fly and have always instructed and will always instruct to fly at the highest possible altitude. If 1500ft are allowed, I fly at 1500ft. Nobody ever complained.

Given you are at EDDS, the number 3500ft will mean something to you. During my PPL training, each instructor used to get very nervous when I was getting close to 3400ft, lecturing me about good airmanship etc. I guess that habit sticks until today...

... During my PPL training, each instructor used to get very nervous ...

That is because you trained with the wrong FTO - we don't employ nervous instructors ;-) (just kidding of course!) When I started flying at Stuttgart, that altitude used to be 3000ft. It was raised to 3500 for noise abatement reasons. One more reason to fly as high as one is allowed. And regarding good airmanship: there are two "airmanships" to be considered and weighted against each other. One is the possible level bust (but with a 300ft cushion until it gets official!) and the other is flying a single over a noise sensitive and densely poulated area, especially when approaching Stuttgart from the north, where every foot counts. As I said, I value the second one higher.

EDDS - Stuttgart

I don't know if the UK has filed a difference to ICAO on this, but here the boundary of CAS would actually be 1500ft.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, Peter, the boundary is 1500 feet, but the altitude 1500 feet by itself does then not belong the CAS but to the G airspace below. That is an ICAO rule. Also here in Holland, when I fly below the Schiphol TMA which is A airspace that starts close to Lelystad at 1500 feet, the altitude 1500 feet itself is still outside A airspace.

If you fly on the correct QNH and on the autopilot, you won't bust the airspace.

EDLE, Netherlands
Sign in to add your message