Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What do visitors to the UK find most confusing?

I'll be on the guy on the old red motorcycle :-)

Really??? You will be easy to spot...

EGTK Oxford

The thing I find most confusing about the UK, is that when you buy a power tool you have to buy the plug separately, and put it on yourself!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

In UK Class G, I call up nobody unless they have radar, or I am landing there

I acutally call airfields line Cranfield (they have no radar, on procedural service), telling them I'm flying around their IAP, where the procedure is in Class G.

Flight plans is a very confusing thing. Sometimes they disappear. LARS never got a FP. In Belgium are no problems with flight plans, Ostend Approch got my FP and Brussels Control got it. It wouldn't be magic to give all LARS units access to flight plans. Handovers from one LARs to another unit would be great, not only between Farnborough and Southend on a traffic service.

United Kingdom

The thing I find most confusing about the UK, is that when you buy a power tool you have to buy the plug separately, and put it on yourself!

I think the law was changed on that a while ago, and now stuff has to come with the plug fitted.

Yes it was bizzare - the way they were expecting some little old lady to wire up a mains plug herself. Needless to say it did result in loads of accidents and electrical fires etc. Usually what happened is people did not tighten up the screws enough on a 2-3kW heater...

Handovers from one LARs to another unit would be great,

Normally you do get that, unless they are busy.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

So, at ATC airfields, it tends to be used in situations where ATC is too busy to be able to cope. It tends to get used on sunny weekends. They can legitimately send 50 inbounds to the overhead and just forget about them, and if they hit each other, it is not ATC's problem. Of course separation in Class G is never ATC's problem anyway.

That is correct. The only reason that I can type these words is because I did not obay the 2000' join that was issued to me by Shorham ATC. I flew at 1950' while the other aircraft was at or just below 2000' (and his radio callswere also wrong and misleading which could be a main reason for the midair).

There are certainly defensive tactics one can use which are not quite legit but are smart.

• Fly slightly above the OHJ height, say 300 ft

• On departure, fly straight out and get out of the way quick

• Assume others lie about their position (some do)

• A 'final' call you hear could be from 5 miles out; not always unintentionally (beats others to the landing clearance)

• Repeat any position report when handed to a new controller

etc

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

And a switch next to every power socket. I always wonder what this is for?

EDDS - Stuttgart

And a switch next to every power socket. I always wonder what this is for?

It must be somehow related to the two taps in every sink...

One of my pet peeves! no power sockets or light switches in bathrooms! No wonder electric shavers are not popular in the UK....and the UK plugs with separate fuses....and electrodes big enough to handle the power for a small city! Obviously designed by a committee of electrocution victims!

YPJT, United Arab Emirates

Well, it's better than the US idea of plugs with weedy poor fitting pins that wobble and arc in the socket!

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message