Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How many people choose an airport by landing fee or fuel price?

If we talk about price difference between Le Bourget LFPB and Pontoise LFPT when flying to Paris or difference between Palma LEPA and Son Bonet LESB when flying to Mallorca then I’m sensitive to landing fees. Or when choosing fuel stop between airports that sell fuel for 1€ and the other one just across the border that sells it for 2.20€ then I am sensitive. Other that that, when prices are in acceptable range, I choose what’s most convenient. It’s pretty dumb to land at some inconvenient airport in the middle of the nowhere and spend 100-200€ on taxi in order to save 50€ on landing fees and something similar on fuel.

Last Edited by Emir at 12 Mar 17:24
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir – I agree there is a point when it is just silly, but even then convenience has to be factored in to some degree. Fuel is usually less of a factor as you can usually pick it up somewhere en route if necessary often with a free landing fee if it is just to refuel.

Fuji_Abound wrote:

Fuel is usually less of a factor as you can usually pick it up somewhere en route if necessary often with a free landing fee if it is just to refuel.

I yet have to land to the airport in Europe where landing fee is zero if you take fuel. Still hasn’t happened in my flying career.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Leer, Germany will do it and the fuel is dirt cheap as well – anything up to €1 cheaper than Lelystad

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

Well, yes, and Lelystad is one of the well known exceptions, with a “Greek” fuel price last time I was there

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Actually Lelystad is not much more expensive than any other Dutch airfield

EHLE / Lelystad, Netherlands, Netherlands

My destination is varied by the fuel available. I will have a preference for an airfield with UL91 or Mogas and I am happy to pay a premium for such fuel.

I yet have to land to the airport in Europe where landing fee is zero if you take fuel. Still hasn’t happened in my flying career.

Try Turweston EGBT, free landing fee with min fuel uplift, 60lt for a PA28 type, and one of the cheapest for AVGAS at £1.58 /lt. A great airfield with a lovely cafe.

EGBW, United Kingdom

dublinpilot wrote:

As part of a big trip, the fuel price isn’t variable enough to be an issue.

I see it quite differently. When we visited Menorca coming from Berlin we decided to land at Montpellier for refuelling. Taking 250 Liters of Avgas for 1,70/Lit. at LFMT costs 425 Euro. 250 Liters for 3,10/Lit. at LEMH costs 775 Euro. Savings are 350 Euro. One must deduct 23 Euro landing fee.
If you add say 300 Euro for landing and parking four days at LEMH on top of the fuel bill you have to pay 1075 Euro. For that reason we decided to land at San Louis, fees where 30 Euro. Total savings is nearly 600 Euro, which was the price for the hotel room. This is worth the additional landing for us.

Berlin, Germany

That is however not comparing like for like. You are including the landing+parking costs of one airport versus another one, and yes these can be big. To give an extreme example, if going to say Brighton you could land at Shoreham versus Gatwick and save yourself perhaps £5000

LEMH is not cheap, and there are some “Spanish handling practices” going on there. So you pay… unless someone puts some effort into it, like we did for the EuroGA fly-in there in 2017. We got it down to something like €60, I think.

Most pilots will not go to LEMH because of the cost and hassle, but it is an outstanding destination and that’s why we went there. We could have had a fly-in to LFMT instead In Sep 2021 we will have a fly-in to Sicily and for sure that won’t be simple or cheap, I am sure, but it is a lovely place to visit.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message