Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Malibuflyer wrote:

Ot’s all about “perceived reality”

Or quite possibly a certain amount of resignation has set in and acceptance? the human mind can only take so much horror before trying to shun it aside and find excuses.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

I think the death rate is less important than the rate of new, serious illness requiring hospitalization – because that’s what you can prevent. This is way down in many areas of the US. I can only imagine as per UK experience this results from a combination of vaccination plus natural immunity. Here’s the total new inflection data for California, as an example, and obviously most of these cases do not require hospitalization.

In my local area, 50 people are being reported ill per day, almost all non-seriously, among a population of 3.5 million. It’s no longer a substantial public health issue.

Most importantly, I think that once the opportunity for anybody to be vaccinated exists, as it does in the US, the government role is largely over. Everybody has the opportunity to protect themselves and as per my post above in my local area the hospitals have a tiny fraction of their capacity being used for CV-19 patients. What else do you need to resume normal life? The answer is nothing, which is why normal life is resuming, even for those who were previously unduly influenced by fear.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 May 14:13

Silvaire wrote:

It’s no longer a substantial public health issue.

Same in the UK.

We have ~2,000 new cases each day but bear in mind that on a per capita basis we test far more than any other country, 3-4 times more than the US or EU countries. Seek and ye shall find.

As of Tues/Weds this week the whole of the UK has 1,098 Covid-19 patients in hospital and 136 in mechanical ventilation beds.

Deaths are in single figures or low double figures each day. Given these are all deaths within 28 days of a positive test regardless of cause of death (and hospitals are a great place to catch infections) I would hypothesise that many of them are dying with Covid-19 rather than of it.

Vaccinations continue at over half a million each day. 68% of the adult population has had a single jab and 36% have had two. My girlfriend had her first one (Pfizer) this morning and mine is on Tuesday – I don’t know which it will be but I will accept any. In theory being under 40 I am entitled to a choice, but choosing other than that offered on the day would likely mean a delay so I will take what I’m given.

There is no reason whatsoever for any restrictions on movement, behaviour or businesses to exist.

Last Edited by Graham at 14 May 14:54
EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

68% of the adult population has had a single jab and 36% have had two.

Switzerland has 1.2 million with two doses and some 3.5 million doses injected in total. If my math is correct that would correspond to approximately 1 million people with one dose (as 2.4 million doses are needed to vaccinate the 1.2). They continue on a steady rate now. They do not give out percentages however.

Graham wrote:

My girlfriend had her first one (Pfizer) this morning and mine is on Tuesday – I don’t know which it will be but I will accept any. In theory being under 40 I am entitled to a choice, but choosing other than that offered on the day would likely mean a delay so I will take what I’m given.

I’ve had dual Pfizer and no side effects at all so far.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

They do not give out percentages however.

We do publish percentages.

https://www.covid19.admin.ch/en/epidemiologic/vacc-persons/d/geography?geoView=table

T28
Switzerland

Vaccination data by country here with it seems all countries listed. Updated regularly.

Hungary seems to be vaccinating a fair number of people in proportion to its population.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 May 17:28

Mooney_Driver wrote:

They do not give out percentages however.

You can work it out, surely, just from looking up some population figures?

EGLM & EGTN

FWIW, from the link above, updated 13 May 2021

Switzerland
38 doses per 100 people
3,228,403 total doses
Vaccinated 25% of population
“Fully Vaccinated” 13% of population

Last Edited by Silvaire at 14 May 17:38

Mooney_Driver wrote:

I’ve had dual Pfizer and no side effects at all so far.

Very much person dependent, apparently. After my first shot (with Pfizer) I got very tired the rest of the day, but that was all. My wife had an ache at the injection spot for a day or two but nothing else. We’ll see when we get the second shot next month…

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

We’ll see when we get the second shot next month…

Ref my earlier post about the second dose. I suggest you don’t plan anything important for at least the next day.

Sign in to add your message