Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Don’t forget you can test positive many weeks or even months after infection with sensitive PCR tests, not a problem with pragmatic medical staff. Big problems perhaps dealing with bureaucrats

That would totally stop me flying on an airline, for obvious reasons already posted many times

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

A tab added to an app,
Should be able to knock one up this afternoon

What a bunch of clowns

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-57070185

Last Edited by Ted at 11 May 13:14
Ted
United Kingdom

I find that quite funny

A paper version will also be available – by calling 119 but not through a GP.

IOW, we don’t want GPs to do more work for their 100k+ salaries, especially now when they are getting used to fobbing people off on the phone without seeing them.

It can also show vaccine statuses, including for coronavirus, but currently this feature must be enabled by a GP before it appears on the app.

IOW, the GP must determine whether you are likely to commit suicide if you acquired access to such information. It took me probably 10 years to get “cleared” to see my medical record online.

“There are not many countries that currently accept proof of vaccination,” the government advice warns.

All the interesting ones do

The update won’t go live until May 17th and will provide a new tab displaying your vaccine record, the idea being that this is all you need to show rather than any other sensitive data being visible.

Terribly important, this… Did you bring all your medications, dear?

“Globally there are now 20+ countries that are either easing testing or quarantine requirements for vaccinated passengers

Yeah; that’s what I’ve said… that’s the way the world is moving

What a bunch of clowns

Indeed.

But there must be a real serious story as to why govt IT is so inept. They prob100 have a 100 page manual on “accessibility” (specifying a 48pt font, so you can see only 1 line on the screen at a time, to file a GAR form, when anybody who needs > 8pt won’t get their medical anyway) but the rest of it just doesn’t hang together. I know that historically the “system” worked by civil servants being mostly useless “Cambridge arts graduates” (that never changed and never will) and all the contractors knew that the project spec will be crap but if they deliver that they will get paid, and the real money will be made afterwards, in making it actually work. And the best outcome is the project gets cancelled just before it goes live. And I am sure most countries have the same problems for the same reasons; only small countries can move fast.

We also have the civil liberties crowd, which is historically a Good Thing about the UK, but right now it has aligned itself with every opposition party to be a thorn in the side of the govt. And this crowd is totally against vacc certificates, against any mandatory stuff like care home staff having to be vacced, etc.

Administrator

Malibuflyer wrote:

If you buy them in thousands, a test is less than 5 EUR.

Last time I looked a PCR test reckognized by the authorities (lab confirmed, home tests are not enough) cost between 60 Euros and 120 Euros, depending where you do it.

Malibuflyer wrote:

Might well be – but only based on irrational behavior rather than based on facts.

It is also a financial calculation: A family of 4 would spend between 500 and 1000 Euros per trip just on tests, given the above figures. And there is always the risk that before your return flight someone tests positive. The financial costs for that are simply not calculable.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Very incalculable!

This story is about a colleague of a friend, so it may well have been mangled and ‘improved’, but as told to me in outside the pub…

The colleague was a Chinese PhD teaching at a London university.
A few months back, she wanted to return to China for a couple of months.
Her first problem was that she routed via Copenhagen, and discovered that (under Chinese rules I think) she now needed two 14 day quarantine periods, one in Denmark and the final one in China.
Towards the end of the Danish quarantine she tested positive, most likely a false positive, but this extended her quarantine.
She was symptom-free until near the end of the second 14 days, when she actually caught Covid, with symptoms. I guess quarantine hostels/hotels are not the safest of places.
After she recovered, she still needed two negative tests some days apart, then another quarantine in China on arrival.
Something like eight weeks in all.

Last Edited by DavidS at 11 May 14:41
White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

IOW, the GP must determine whether you are likely to commit suicide if you acquired access to such information. It took me probably 10 years to get “cleared” to see my medical record online.

Change your GP. When I recently switched, I was signed up on registration to online patient records (which was a bit archaic with a paper form and in person ID check, which is fair enough).

Out of curiosity, I had a look:

Also, the booking process for vaccination could not have been better. I received an SMS, tap on the link, pick a date, pick a time slot, get confirmation SMS. Job done, second shot tomorrow morning.

They should add PCR test results to this as well, though.

Biggin Hill

Yes; the organisation of vaccinations has been excellent. Here, they could have vacced 10x more people if they had the stuff… or maybe they did have the stuff but were told they are not allowed to, for “solidarity”, which has been a really hot potato.

We are having the 2nd one this week.

Administrator

Mooney_Driver wrote:

Last time I looked a PCR test reckognized by the authorities (lab confirmed, home tests are not enough) cost between 60 Euros and 120 Euros, depending where you do it.

Most countries have a (reasonable) protocol in place that you first do a (cheap) antigen test and only if it is possible do a more expensive PCR one – and in Germany and many other countries this PCR test is then paid by the health insurer/health system.

Germany

Administrator

Working in the sense that the vaccines largely prevent serious illness, which is great, but they do not seem stop people in India catching Covid again. FT link – behind paywall, sorry

Which is probably not so great. Surely the more vaccinated people catch Covid, the more opportunity the virus has to mutate to work around the vaccine.?

White Waltham EGLM, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message