Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

According to recent research, 50% of people in Croatia believe that viruses are created by governments in order to control population. Some 40% believe that cure for cancer exists but it’s hidden because of commercial interests. Stupidly in our country is consequence of 30 years of intentional neglecting education and promoting religion.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Here’s the Covid related fatality trend for Florida, with no ‘measures’ in place for going on a year.

It doesn’t take ‘guts’ to impose fascism, it takes guts not to do so.

Looks like ski areas in the western US are opening early this year because of relatively good snowfall so far, at the start of the season.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Oct 14:10

The NYTimes numbers show a big drop in deaths, but not quite the same as your graph.

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2021/us/florida-covid-cases.html

Everything is fine unless you are one of the 1000+ people per day dying in Florida.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

I’m not gong to comment on the validity of NY times versus Worldometer data specifically, because I have no additional facts, but I wouldn’t myself trust the NY Times to tell me what day it is accurately and without heavy bias.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Oct 14:35

Emir wrote:

According to recent research, 50% of people in Croatia believe that viruses are created by governments in order to control population. Some 40% believe that cure for cancer exists but it’s hidden because of commercial interests. Stupidly in our country is consequence of 30 years of intentional neglecting education and promoting religion.

Make that 60/40 and you got Bulgaria. 35/65 and you got Switzerland. The rest is somewhere in the same field.

Found this recently, seems to be frighteningly accurate, only that Sagan limited it to the US. Nope. Everywhere.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

It doesn’t take ‘guts’ to impose fascism, it takes guts not to do so.

Public health measures, including education about vaccination are definitely not fascism. You’re obviously clueless about fascism because you’ve never seen it except maybe in documentaries.

Last Edited by Emir at 28 Oct 16:16
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Quite obviously I was not talking about education, as you will well understand.

Looks like a good season coming for German tourism in Florida.

Quite obviously I was not talking about education, as you will well understand.

You assumed something that I didn’t write, so I provided explanation.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Great quote from Carl Sagan.

The problem is that you can’t reverse this “sinking into stupidity” of the human race. It means the world in which our kids grow up will be different to what we know today. But crucially it means that smart people will do very well – in the land of the blind, the one-eyed man is King. So if your kids are smart, they will end up running the world.

But maybe this is all a perception and no more. The IQ curve tells us that most people are truly stupid, and always have been. What is changing is the visibility of it. 50 years ago, stupid people were doing jobs which stupid people have always done, and went down the pub afterwards. Today, these people are found in the facebook/twatter echo chamber and can pick up a lot of visibility.

I think there is an element of ‘self regulation’ here. I’ve thought that for awhile. Numebers come down and society opens up. Everyone relaxes and people mix more and think all is over. Then numbers start to rise as a result and enough people get cautious again and limit interactions, which starts to bring the curves down again. Governments may step in with regulations but I think they are behind the curves, and the population act ahead of them, based on media reports.

That’s well possible, but it would mean that even very small changes in behaviour have a big impact, which in turn means that most of the scientists who advise the govts on CV19 policy are mainly clueless.

It’s always been my view that small things make big (and currently not understood) differences. From a purely “engineering analysis” POV I can’t see any other explanation for the virus behaviour. If I was working on a “system” which fluctuated so wildly I would conclude that “something else” is behind that; not the obvious stuff.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The book on the subject attributed to Benito Mussolini, but apparently mainly generated by Giovanni Gentile, provides quite a bit of info on fascism, should you yourself be interested in education. The first part, entitled “fundamental ideas” is pretty clear.

Sagan is right that we should set our own agendas and question authority, that’s for sure. And about the US media, which has largely become a propaganda arm of an increasingly ignorant and naive Federal government. I’m exactly in agreement with him.

And as he says, it is surely true that few representing the public interest worldwide can understand the issues in play, that’s been quite well demonstrated. The current government policies on CV-19 worldwide have largely been the product of naive government employed clowns, possibly with the exception of those in 2020 who promoted the creation of effective vaccines in a dramatically short period.

People in general are not actually stupid, particularly those who don’t work in government. The problem is that by being isolated from reality they are losing the ability to make good decisions based on experience. The solution is not to isolate them still more from reality and from the consequences of their decisions. That is a no win ‘death spiral’ direction.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 28 Oct 18:27
Sign in to add your message