Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

So we can expect at least about 2-4% of total Covid patients to already have organic damage!

For perspective:

I spoke to a cardiologist last year and asked him what happens to pilots who caught the “pox”. He said provided you pass the medical you are ok. This includes the ECG treadmill which most people who had an “intervention” have to do every year. He said most respiratory diseases do permanent and detectable heart/lung damage so this is nothing new.

What is perhaps new is the numbers, but that isn’t clear since the “flu” has been around since for ever, is highly infectious, and most people have caught it sometime. I got one 20 years ago when I could not even get out of bed for a few days, which wasn’t fun because I lived alone then.

One has to be very careful how one reads the media reporting. This is true for every other media event of course. The standard thing is that somebody in some town got run over a bus and the reporter is on TV and with a completely straight face says the standard media-hack phrase “this close-knit community is in shock”, when in reality probably almost nobody outside his family gives a damn And if there is a riot being reported they make it look like the whole country is on fire, when it could just be one mob rioting in one street and smashing up the shops. The media live on drama and most producers don’t give a damn for presenting a balanced picture – because it would be totally boring. In the case of CV19, they have a bottomless pit of material so will keep reporting deaths even when they are 1% of the noise floor.

I’m really wondering when we will be able to retire this thread. I find it quite staggering a year and a half on this is still going. Let’s go flying instead ;-)

I agree 100%. That’s why we have this thread which is about how to get around the restrictions

I’ve never known businesses so eager to turn away their customers as UK airfields. It’s the most frustrating thing about flying in the UK, scoring way higher than regulation issues.

I think it is because a lot of the “managers” are truly stupid. Aviation is one of the few areas of human activity where truly stupid people can carry on, and get well paid – because they just wave the “safety” card if questioned. And the business has so much regulation that almost nobody understands it. If they did, I reckon most of the local govt funded airfields (common in some countries) would just get shut – or drastically reorganised.

But also airfields get boycotted by the British “boycott every place where a landing is more than £10” crowd which has always dominated UK GA social media. The forum admins would never do anything about this damage because they run adverts so need the traffic (you can never tighten up mod policy). So airfields can’t charge something reasonable like say £30, so have to make money by selling “food” – which they could not really do during the shutdowns. And this leads to the other issue: a lot of GA pilots are rather obnoxious moaning whingeing complaining personalities (ask any airfield owner).

Pilots don’t help by feeling the need to always ask for “clarification”.

That’s because the whole GA scene is full of FUD, put out by self-important old codgers who prop up the bar So pilots are scared that “something may be illegal”

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Many pilots need to learn “it is better to ask for forgiveness than for permission” (well, except for airspace that is).

Andreas IOM

I think this shows how well the vaccine is working for having both shots: most over-40s have had both, most under 40s only one, most under 25s are unvaccinated.

Andreas IOM

Compare the above with the April outbreak, when most were not vaccinated or had only 1 jab. Note how much greater the proportion of symptomatic infection is, too.

Andreas IOM

The difference between those two graphs can only be explained by different testing practice (and has littel to do with vaccination).

Asymptomatic cases can only be identified by „random“ (i.e. w/o specific cause) testing. The fact that in April data the ratio between symptomatic and asymptomatic cases (across all age groups) does clearly show, that in April there were almost no random tests.

Germany

Testing and tracing practises have not changed. It’s only in the last day or two we’ve started using lateral flow tests. There has been no random testing in the Isle of Man, you are told only to get a test if you are symptomatic or a close contact of a case, and this was the same in the April outbreak as in the July outbreak.

Last Edited by alioth at 21 Jul 12:18
Andreas IOM

So how are these asymptomatic cases identified?

Biggin Hill

Close contacts of a symptomatic case.

Andreas IOM

So in July for each symptomatic case due to contact tracing they found 1 asymptomatic case while in April none of the symptomatic cases infected somebody else leading to an asymptomatic case?
And they did the same contact tracing and testing?

Highly unlikely.

Germany

There are asymptomatic cases in April, a total of 20.

The main difference is April was during a lockdown so people weren’t mixing so much, so there were fewer close contacts and the close contacts tended to be the same household rather than a random person you sat next to in a pub for 15 minutes.

I can absolutely assure you we are not doing random testing in the Isle of Man, in fact it’s a repeating criticism here of the testing regime that we are not.

Last Edited by alioth at 21 Jul 16:41
Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message