Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

“We’re talking about biology manufacturing here,” he says, adding that making vaccines “is extremely complicated”.

“It’s not like doing an orange juice,” he says.

“Everybody’s on a learning curve, which usually you develop over year. We’ve had months. "

Literally just read this from AZ which seems to support exactly Graham and my view above.

I suppose the politicians are somewhat better at dealing with BMW’s and Merc’s which follow a more predictable manufacturing course, or even beer, you brewed a 1,000 lites a week last week, shouldnt be a problem doing the same this week and the next.

Ursula Von der Leyen said:

She said the “best effort” clause in the AstraZeneca contract with the EU was supposed to refer to the period during which the company was developing the vaccine. “This is now in the past … Once a vaccine is there, there were very clear rules regarding amounts as well as timeframes – they are in the contract – and there are also locations where the vaccine should be produced.”

Either she’s outright lying, or she’s foolish enough to have made a statement on the matter based on a brief from an aide rather than actually reading the contract herself.

The contract couldn’t be clearer that “Best Reasonable Efforts” applies to the entire development, manufacturing and distribution process. Section 5.1.

EGLM & EGTN

Graham wrote:

Either she’s outright lying, or she’s foolish enough to have made a statement on the matter based on a brief from an aide rather than actually reading the contract herself.

The contract couldn’t be clearer that “Best Reasonable Efforts” applies to the entire development, manufacturing and distribution process. Section 5.1.

I have heard more than a few times people saying such and such in the contract was “suppose to refer”, or “i understood it said” or even “someone told me it meant”. It would bring a smile to most barrister’s lips.

It is also interesting, and we discussed this a little in the politics thread, I made the point that if I have a concern with a European army and such like, it is that while these conglomerate organsiations have advantages, they also have disadvantages – and in my mind the major disadvantage is they lack nibbleness. They cant react quickly to an unexpected situation.

My understanding is the UK took vaccine procurement away from Whitehall to a small committee specially formed and with very extensive commercial experience. It may be exactly this nibleness that enabled them to get their orders in early and on good terms.

“Hello Ursula Graham and Fuji_Abound say you are either a liar or a fool, I don’t know what their legal experience is, especially on the international stage, but they do think they know what they are talking about. I suggest maybe you should advise the EU to stop trying to get the vaccines you have paid $400 million for and just right it off. Of course the death rate across the EU will probably rise but then Graham and Fuji_Abound say its your fault for not ordering these vaccines before they were made and you should have insisted that you would sue the pants off AZ of they didn’t succeed instead of putting “best efforts” into the contract."
Regards
Gallois

France

gallois wrote:

“Hello Ursula Graham and Fuji_Abound say you are either a liar or a fool, I don’t know what their legal experience is, especially on the international stage, but they do think they know what they are talking about. I suggest maybe you should advise the EU to stop trying to get the vaccines you have paid $400 million for and just right it off. Of course the death rate across the EU will probably rise but then Graham and Fuji_Abound say its your fault for not ordering these vaccines before they were made and you should have insisted that you would sue the pants off AZ of they didn’t succeed instead of putting “best efforts” into the contract."
Regards
Gallois

Come on Gallois I dont think we (and certainly i) am not saying any such thing. I made the point earlier there is a moral aspect, the discussion has been about the legal aspect, and has gone no further. However, if we get into the moral discussion, then Europe and the UK has no special place either to India, or Mexico, or where ever else might come to mind.

Memo to Ms van der Leyen:
You were offered the chance to buy our product.
You declined.
You are now at the end of the queue

Sincerely,

AZ

Not sure what this actually is but it sounds like a trade blockade of Northern Ireland for the vaccines.

NI gets its vaccine from the UK but Brussels doesn’t want the UK to be getting extra supplies across the Ireland / NI border.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

172driver wrote:

Memo to Ms van der Leyen:
You were offered the chance to buy our product.
You declined.
You are now at the end of (a very long) queue

Sincerely,

AZ

@gallois

The standard of debate on EuroGA is, generally speaking, higher than anywhere else I have ever participated in debate on the internet.

Just occasionally though, as I suppose must be inevitable, it slips into what is so common all over the internet – someone can’t counter a point and decides to either get personal or make a rather poor attempt at ridiculing someone.

I don’t think anyone has suggested the EU write the AZ contract off. The suggestion seems to be that they acknowledge moving 3 months late will have some consequences insofar as you’re not front of the queue, and accept that everyone is trying their best – but that will not extend to shafting the UK in order to fulfill your contract.

The UK also is not getting as much (from either AZ or Pfizer) as it hoped for, nor is the EU getting as much from Pfizer as planned, but there are no angry threats in those scenarios. Why is that?

EGLM & EGTN
Sign in to add your message