Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Off_Field wrote:

If they’re wanting to be outside the system you’d have thought they’d accept they’re not going to get the handouts

I hope the tax-dodging corporations who are now expecting bailouts also accept this.

Andreas IOM

Interesting where internet bandwidth is going these days:

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Interesting where internet bandwidth is going these days:

haha, time to settle scores !
I think the reason why they switch to online reporting is that they don’t want police phones to be overwhelmed by neighbours calling on each other…

Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I happen to work regularly on offshore rigs. There are two oft heard phrases regarding colds/flu etc “if you’ve got it, we’ve all got it” and “its just rig flu”.

I know where you’re coming from, but you still have to explain why only a few passengers were infected on some ships, and much higher proportions on others.

Exposure is probabilistic so if you nip on Peter’s hypothetical bus for 5 minutes and someone at the back of the bus coughs, you will probably be lucky. If you’re taking the Greyhound from New York to Los-Angeles then your chances won’t be as good.

alioth wrote:

I hope the tax-dodging corporations who are now expecting bailouts also accept this.

I agree with you there.

Peter wrote:

It’s called a dead cat bounce

The amateurs buy at this point

What is already certain at this point is that the “real” economy (output of goods and services) is contracting, quickly. At the same time, high amounts of money are being introduced by central banks and governments through fiscal stimulus programs. Do you like inflation? Because that is how you get inflation.

If you’re advocating to sell stocks, you also need to say what to buy instead. Bonds are a very bad idea during inflationary periods. Cash? Even worse. Real estate is taking a hit as well due to corporations and small businesses either closing shop or not paying their rent. Gold works as long as you find another sucker to sell it to at a higher price than what you bought it for. I don’t know how many inflation-protected bonds (e.g. TIPS) there are to buy up, but I suspect it’s a finite amount. Given these choices, I would say buying stakes in companies (i.e. stocks) is not the worst choice.

As soon as people realize this, the run on stocks should be considerable, with probably a lot of people sitting on cash and waiting for the bottom of the “dip”. Not even considering possible new facts about the disease which might change the picture, but at that point the money would already be out there and impossible to get back without causing even more economic mayhem.

To stay slightly on topic, I think buying a plane now seems like a very good idea.

you still have to explain why only a few passengers were infected on some ships, and much higher proportions on others.

Possibly different air ducting / air conditioning setups on different ships.

Anyone working in “engineering” for some time will know that there are all sorts of reasons, often surprising, why some things happen and others don’t. You might develop a product with features A B and C. Then years later you discover that B has a huge bug in it and basically never worked properly. But nobody ever reported it. The reasons why that happened could be really surprising. For example it could be that most of those you sold ended up in one installation which was never completed and the end customer went bust, so none of them ever got switched on and eventually all got scrapped Or everybody used them in a particular mode which caused the bug to never expose itself.

As regards catching bugs of the sort we are talking about, personal hygiene practices vary widely. The vast majority of people basically never wash their hands and never worry about touching door handles in public places. But some do. The infectiousness of a virus depends heavily on the % who do. If everybody did, it could well be that this virus would have never gone anywhere, regardless of social distancing being applied or not.

Administrator

kwlf wrote:

you still have to explain why only a few passengers were infected on some ships, and much higher proportions on others.

I am afraid I dont know what has happened with other ships since the one that was docked in Japan which was “quarantined” for a month back in Jan/Feb.
I will say that most “western” Offshore installations have for many years now made a safety case for regular hand washing/hand sanitiser use which as a result is now almost second nature to most of us, however this in all probability would not have occurred on all of the cruise ships from day one.

Regards, SD..

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The infectiousness of a virus depends heavily on the % who do. If everybody did, it could well be that this virus would have never gone anywhere, regardless of social distancing being applied or not

This is most likely the reason why Japan is less affected. The local standards for cleanliness, the habitual wearing of face masks if you have a cold to protect others etc all contribute to a lower infection rate; but not enough to bring the replication rate to below one (yet)

Re the cruise ships – on the Diamond Princess, only around 20% of all people on board, 100% of which were tested, ended up being diagnosed. There are two possible reasons for this:

• 80% are immune for whatever reason [low-grade undetected infection, or something else], 20% developed the disease, 1.5 of which died.
  • Lockdown worked – people were confined to their cabins at some point.

As usual, the reality will be somewhere between these two.

Biggin Hill
Sign in to add your message