Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Corona / Covid-19 Virus - General Discussion (politics go to the Off Topic / Politics thread)

Airborne_Again wrote:

Please explain.

Please check out the following.

EVENT 201

The John Hopkins Centre for Health Security.

AGENDA 21

Bedtime reading……

Last Edited by BeechBaby at 11 Mar 18:15
Fly safe. I want this thing to land l...
EGPF Glasgow

The social distancing data is interesting to me. The Spanish flu was reputedly accelerated by government forcing (military) people to stay together. Hopefully in this case people will continue to manage their own risk successfully, in both health and economic senses, until warm weather and then in due course a vaccine is developed. I can only imagine how hard those involved are working to develop a vaccine and I hope they have good stock options for motivation.

Not many Asian faces noted in my recent day in Vegas. Social pressure doubtless in play. I did note two Italians. Otherwise business as usual it appeared, and zero silly masks.

The suggestion that FAA might allow flight reviews to extend for more than two years did make me smile. There’s apparently no limit on human imagination Regardless, nobody in the US has to travel for a Flight Review and they are done on lonely airports. So no, it isn’t going to happen, dream on.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 11 Mar 19:22

BeechBaby wrote:

Please check out the following.

EVENT 201

The John Hopkins Centre for Health Security.

AGENDA 21

Bedtime reading……

I still have no idea what you are talking about. Can you say what you want to say straight out?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
There should be no repercussions whatsoever, even if many will die.

This might be the time were colleagues from non-intensive specialities might have to dust off their skills on how to ventilate a patient…

You would hope there should be no consequences, but there is very little trust left. One name to google is that of Dr Bawa Garba who was found guilty of manslaughter when a child died towards the end of a 12 hour shift on a day on which absolutely everything that could go wrong, had (understaffing, computers down, first day back from maternity leave with no support). Whilst recognising that there were many systemic failings contributing to the death, it was not felt that this absolved her of personal responsibility. Whilst sympathetic to the child who died, I think almost all of us felt that we could have easily found ourselves in Dr Bawa Garba’s shoes.

More recently there has been a ‘gotcha’ whereby if you earned more than a certain threshold, you would have to pay more in tax than you had earned. i.e. the more work you do, the less money you take home.

So the consultants find themselves considering that unless something changes, if they risk their lives and put in extra hours to help out during the pandemic they are likely to find themselves earning less and potentially in legal jeopardy given the difficult decisions which will have to be made. We spend days answering complaints that are often trivial. How much time will we spend having to justify who got ventilated and who didn’t? Where do you get insurance against being sued by the relatives of the patient who doesn’t get a ventilator?

I have just bought an intensive care handbook, though have few critical care skills to dust off. I’m lucky enough to work in a community where most people are a pleasure to look after and I will try to look after them as kindly and pragmatically as I can.

Last Edited by kwlf at 11 Mar 20:12

kwlf wrote:

So the consultants find themselves considering that unless something changes, if they risk their lives and put in extra hours to help out during the pandemic they are likely to find themselves earning less and potentially in legal jeopardy given the difficult decisions which will have to be made. We spend days answering complaints that are often trivial. How much time will we spend having to justify who got ventilated and who didn’t? Where do you get insurance against being sued by the relatives of the patient who doesn’t get a ventilator?

I have just bought an intensive care handbook, though have few critical care skills to dust off. I’m lucky enough to work in a community where most people are a pleasure to look after and I will try to look after them as kindly and pragmatically as I can.

For once, I think and hope that the government will protect doctors who have to step up like this. There will be no public support for any repercussions.

EGTK Oxford

I tend to think and hope so too, but it wouldn’t hurt them to say it. Perhaps now is not the time, but I do think there needs to be clarity before the storm hits.

There is not a good understanding amongst the public of what it actually means to practice medicine. I think for many people the pandemic will force something of a paradigm shift in terms of their understanding of mortality. But such paradigm shifts take time.

Last Edited by kwlf at 11 Mar 20:24

JasonC wrote:

For once, I think and hope that the government will protect doctors who have to step up like this. There will be no public support for any repercussions.

At least over here in Germany I think the risk is small. If you do your best to help the legal risk is very small. I have no personal experience but in the US legal risks seem to be much greater such that doctors do not stand up when asked on an airline flight or destroy their homebuild instead of selling it on…

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

I have no personal experience

Noted.

Hopefully in this case people will continue to manage their own risk successfully, in both health and economic senses, until warm weather and then in due course a vaccine is developed. I can only imagine how hard those involved are working to develop a vaccine and I hope they have good stock options for motivation.

Managing your own risk in these circumstances is the wrong paradigm. The measures are about managing community risk and will only work if people who are at low personal risk engage as well. I will confess I have mixed feelings about school closures because I really fear for childrens’ social development. We are making plans for my son to spend a lot of time with just a few of his friends assuming that it happens.

Nobody knows whether the temperature will turn out to be that relevant. India and Africa don’t have as many cases as you might expect, but that may also be because they aren’t testing widely. Brasil is warm but hasn’t escaped.

I also hope a vaccine will eventually be forthcoming, as otherwise I don’t see how this will ever end. But unfortunately my understanding is that making vaccines is like making babies: 9 women can’t make a baby in a month. Most experts seem to think that it will be at least a year before one is ready for widespread use.

Silvaire wrote:

Regardless, nobody in the US has to travel for a Flight Review and they are done on lonely airports. So no, it isn’t going to happen, dream on.

No, but sitting next to people outside your own family that close together would be looked at as a massive risk. Same goes for flight training btw. It is an individual thing to decide if someone wants to continue or not, but it should not be forced to happen if not necessary.

Airborne_Again wrote:

I still have no idea what you are talking about.

Looking up both subjects, the gist of it is that Event 201 was a pandemic exercise conducted in the US last year based on a new form of the corona virus (SARS).

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/

The scenario and the models used predicted 65 million people killed in that pandemic.

http://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/scenario.html

Agenda 21 is a UN program for sustainable living, which some suggest, includes a massive reduction in population over the whole planet.

What exactly BeechBaby wanted to imply he has to say himself, however, there are people who believe the current Corona virus has been set free intentionally in order to achive that reduction in population and also to trigger a world wide economic meltdown to bring down capitalism. Personally I think that is unlikely and a typical conspiracy theory.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message