Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

National CAA policies around Europe on busting pilots who bust controlled airspace (and danger areas)

As a professional in a non-aviation high-risk business, actually the highest-risk business of all because people die regularly in it, it seems strange to me that the UK CAA seem to disregard the well-known fact that systemic risk prevention always beats individual risk prevention by a large margin in achieving a total risk reduction

Blimey, sounds as if Germany medicine must be streets ahead of medicine within the UK. Whilst reading this thread I have often found myself pondering whether, given the well publicised treatment of Dr Bawa Garba and many similar cases, the trend towards criminalising error is a national phenomenon rather than something specific to aviation.

And as an aside it has often seemed to me ironic that aviation seemed to have a much better handle on ‘human factors’ than medicine. Maybe I was wrong about that.

kwlf wrote:

Blimey, sounds as if Germany medicine must be streets ahead of medicine within the UK. Whilst reading this thread I have often found myself pondering whether, given the well publicised treatment of Dr Bawa Garba and many similar cases, the trend towards criminalising error is a national phenomenon rather than something specific to aviation.

And as an aside it has often seemed to me ironic that aviation seemed to have a much better handle on ‘human factors’ than medicine. Maybe I was wrong about that.

I doubt that we are “streets ahead” in medicine in Germany when it comes to human factors. The last couple of years have definitely brought a culture shift when it comes to risk management though. No longer is “naming and shaming” seen as an adequate way to deal with errors in medical treatment. Not all specialities are equal, however. Anaesthesia, my own speciality, is about 15 years ahead of all others and in many institutions about to reach the same level of “enlightenment” regarding human factors and risk management that aviation had about 1980 to 1990. CIRS is en vogue, and grave errors are often followed by an analysis of the systemic factors at work.

The surgical specialities are the next best, though it often depends on the individual department heads how they deal with this topic. Many older (and old-fashioned) departments heads still think that the best way to deal with errors is to heap all the blame on the lowest-ranking surgeon involved at the time the error occurred and shame him in front of all others…

The conservative specialities, Internal Medicine etc., only seem to get around to the fact that human factors and risk management exist just these last few years…

All in all signs are looking good for a movement in the right direction. Patient safety has become a primary concern and risk management is seen as the best way to ensure it, both by healthcare professionals and regulators/politicians. Increasingly, we even have a Just Culture where mistakes are not primarily attributed to an individual but seen as opportunities to avoid future mistakes through thorough analysis.

This was somewhat off-topic, not fully though because how we see and tackle risk is the essential underlying question in all high-risk endeavours, and here in how we deal with airspace infringements.

Maybe a separate topic in how different high-risk professions deal with human factors, risk management and Just Culture might be interesting?

Last Edited by MedEwok at 02 Aug 20:10
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

As a professional in a non-aviation high-risk business, actually the highest-risk business of all because people die regularly in it, it seems strange to me that the UK CAA seem to disregard the well-known fact that systemic risk prevention always beats individual risk prevention by a large margin in achieving a total risk reduction.

Medewok – you are spot on.

EuroGA forum traffic is well spread around Europe, with quite a bit from the US. The biggest audiences are Germany, UK and France. UK participation (posting) is relatively low as a % of the visitors – mostly I believe because UK pilots get excommunicated from the UK sites if they post on EuroGA

I can offer a few random comments on why I think this has become a mostly UK thread:

• the non UK pilot inputs are lost in the noise of nearly 1000 posts
  • it is blindingly obvious that no other country in Europe is doing the UK type of “total enforcement”. What they all do, for nearly all busts, is a handling of the incident by ATC, sometimes with a phone call bollocking. Except for the most pig-headed pilot, this does the job for minor busts. So pilots and ATCOs from other countries are reading this thread with a lot of disbelief and amusement…
  • there is an unfortunate lack of non UK ATC input posted; I believe this is due to “ATC solidarity” (but I did get some private ATC info, which was posted anonymised) … also the UK situation is not the fault of individual ATCOs; it is caused by some mixture of NATS/CAA politics, plus probably some freelance stuff going on inside the CAA
  • there is an unfortunate reluctance for non UK pilots to post their experiences, for various reasons (e.g. it is difficult to not notice that the divisive political climate of the past 3 years has made helping the UK guys less than fashionable )
  • the thread quickly became so long that not many followed it anymore
  • the busier bits of Europe get loads of busts (some numbers are astonishing e.g. 4000/year of the Prague CAS alone, IIRC) but it is accepted by ATC that busts cannot be eliminated because most of them are human errors caused by distraction and not caused by something easily fixed e.g. 1000 pilots flying with 10 years old charts, etc (which is obvious, but the “military” guys in charge of the UK stuff won’t accept that)
  • some non busy bits of Europe probably get few busts because GA has been largely wiped out and has gone to ULMs flying below the radar (literally and metaphorically) so while busts may be detected, few get caught (in the UK only the most serious busts are caught if they are non-txp and non-radio)
  • the UK has a strange problem that most reported busts are causes by pilots not using GPS, but nearly all of the pilots caught are using GPS (I would be surprised if this was the case outside the UK; the UK still largely has a particularly backward WW1-rooted PPL training system)
  • the UK situation continually generated new data and new scenarios (e.g. the FOIA-enabled revelations) so the thread didn’t die a natural death like threads normally do
  • many believe the UK has seen a recent surge in Mode S installations, driven by the 8.33 panic; how many other countries have done a “hard” implementation of 8.33?
  • the UK has poor ATC services OCAS; not joined up with CAS services in most cases, and the structure is so dispersed and the service is so often not available that many pilots don’t bother talking to anybody… and even if they were talking, a bust will result in the same enforcement, as far as anyone can tell (Germany’s Langen Radar is exactly what the UK doesn’t have) and I believe this makes the UK situation intractable, since there is zero prospect of either ATSOCAS or airspace being changed
  • compared with France, the UK is totally strict on the “clearance” aspect, and busting (non military!) CAS in France is actually really hard
  • the UK has vastly improved the reporting system in the last 1-2 years, which is why the busts are rising fast, despite general GA activity declining; I would be amazed if any other country in Europe has applied the same level of polish to their reporting systems
  • EuroGA is the only English language pilot forum where this topic is being discussed; the others suppress it (due to e.g. heavy posting by NATS staff, and relationships between mods and NATS staff)

Maybe a separate topic in how different high-risk professions deal with human factors, risk management and Just Culture might be interesting?

Hangar Talk is just fine for that

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

busting (non military!) CAS in France is actually really hard

I take that you never flew VFR into Paris

To make it no a 1 liner, airspace sometimes drop from 3500 to 1500 (with ground at 700ft). In one of my last departures I was informed about a VFR traffic that was inside the airspace (he passed not far from me, at a higher altitude (and I was already in the class A)

Thanks for the comprehensive and insightful answer, Peter! I wish the UK aviation scene all the best in finding workable solutions to these problems. Many suggestions are on the table, the problems have been thoroughly analyzed in this thread. Now it is up to the people in charge to overcome underlying “political problems”.

Given that the airspace design and FIS/radar funding issues especially are longstanding problems, I am afraid there won’t be a comprehensive solution anytime soon. Instead, the burden will fall on the weakest link, the UK GA pilots…

Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

Yes; I am told that Paris and Lyon are places where it is tight, but the rest of France is a very big place.

On another topic, is the composition (names of the members) of the CAA IWG (the committee which decides on cases above a certain level) public knowledge?

A free t-shirt is going to the pilot who makes post #1000

Administrator

“there is an unfortunate lack of non UK ATC input posted;’
I got a personal response, and asked about reposting an anonymous version, but my contact did not approve.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Size M please (might have needed to add relevant post)

Last Edited by Noe at 02 Aug 21:13

Peter delete (moderate :) ) the above post, size M pls ;)

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Aug 21:27
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

OK Noe yes I dropped the ball there… PM me your name and address

Administrator
Sign in to add your message