Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is the N-reg community in Europe going to just disappear?

I would never go N reg if I bought a plane. I think the advantages are too specific for many pilots, me included. While EuroGA pilots seem to be an exception, many (most?) pilots don’t want to be too involved into the maintenance of their aircraft. They forgo costs savings in favour of less hassle. It is certainly what I would do if I owned a plane.
And possible savings in maintenance seem to be the main advantage of N reg, so if you don’t prioritize these, why go on a foreign reg with all the potential drawbacks that entails?

Last Edited by MedEwok at 10 Apr 10:02
Low-hours pilot
EDVM Hildesheim, Germany

My view, having been N-reg since 2005 and having endured the dual-papers situation since 2012, is that I will remain N-reg because

• I can do wholly freelance maintenance (A&P/IA) without needing to ever go anywhere near any company, and this includes any avionics work (covered as appropriate by an STC or a Field Approval, or done under the Minor Alteration regime). This capability is priceless when I look at the hassles I used to get, and which some other owners get.
  • The freelancer doesn’t care how much work he does so if I tell him to dismantle and grease the entire landing gear, he will do it Accordingly I have a highly functional aircraft with negligible downtime.
  • If he forgot to do something, then everybody knows who forgot whereas with a company the job just didn’t get done and you have absolutely no idea why or who.
  • There is a saving on the overall maintenance, but this really comes down to not having to haggle with a company about what P-a-r-t-9-1 means.

In theory, I believe, some of the above should be achievable with an EASA-reg aircraft, especially (I am 1400kg) when ELA2 is allowed under Part M Light. But, as with the SDMP stuff, it looks like most will continue to struggle, for reasons which may be peripheral.

Then there is licensing:

• My FAA papers are totally standalone, good for the whole universe, not going to be affected by EU-politics etcetc, and easy to keep valid. A BFR every 2 years, a medical every year (at my age), the IR rolling currency takes care of the IR easily (by a factor of several times). In comparison, my last EASA IR reval, done Aug 2018, was “lost” by the CAA, until I wrote to their chief exec and he kicked somebody, and I got an email saying two items were missing, so I replied they were on pages 12 and 13 of the doc pack (and I emailed him the whole PDF of what I sent in). Had I been G-reg I would have been grounded for IFR since Aug 2018 and would have been totally tearing my hair out!!! The lesson there is: don’t let your EASA IR expire by more than 3 years, and don’t let your EASA PPL expire at all. The little FAA plastic card is universally accepted when you are asked to show your pilot license. No need to extract multiple folded bits of EASA paper out of the multi-compartment wallet. Having the FAA license is like the guy in the 1970s Diners Club advert, except you don’t get any girls with it

BUT… I would not go N-reg today. Even just having to go to the US for the written exams… no way. But I am not sure I would take up flying as a hobby today, at any level, if I knew what it involves to get a decent capability.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m N-reg because I used to live in the US . Also, I actually enjoy babying the airplane so having the flexibility to closely manage what gets done is a huge plus in my book. So far I honestly believe that it didn’t led me to skimp on maintenance – quite the opposite actually (lot’s of “this o-ring is leaking” let’s redo the entire fuel / hydraulic system, this part is worn let’s find the right PMA replacement, etc).

If I had to redo everything from scratch today, I’d probably go ultralight and enjoy a similar level of freedom at the expense of the overall capability. Or I would try to get a mechanic’s licence / partner with a mechanic.

All I was saying is I see pilots in their 50s gaining their FAA IR / CB IR for touring, while some almost-70 pilots slowly stop flying. To me, a young IR student is 45 A good portion of them still do it FAA way because of the TK and more flexible learning. Some still go to the US (like Jean) but less than before, because of TSA stuff and increased cost. The USA would get some business letting foreign private flyers learn part 61.

I flee young ATPL students/schools and only refer to private pilots

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 10 Apr 11:27
LFOU, France

Jujupilote wrote:

To me, a young IR student is 45

I personally know a few early-mid 30s without professional aviation aspitations (myself included) who did / are doing their IR, because the CBIR became available. If it hadn’t, I at least would have gone the FAA route (in fact, I did start but then abandonned and went CBIR)

I would expect even more of this will be abandoned with BIR introduction,

CBIR is already a big step in the right direction but to me BIR is an ultimate thing to have long term: the few old chaps in the UK that I know who did hold a full FAA/EASA IR had it lapse to an IMC rating and now even fly in good days only from “cheap uncontrolled airfields” (so it is not just the initial hassle from TK, ATO, TSA)

Just a comparison people do very well with vanilla PPL and a DR400 in France (e.g. you can fly VMC on top, you always get SVFR and if really unsure with 6h endurance you can fly down to Barcelona) and people do very well in UK with PPL+IMC rating, something in-between should be top for IFR on “average GA”?

Of course one still have the option to go for full IR via CBIR/FAA routes for “serious IFR stuff” but one need more than just ir-rating or n-reg to do that? A federal 5km long runway and strong lights does a lot of help IMHO than Part-FCL or Part-66 rules…

Last Edited by Ibra at 10 Apr 12:41
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I personally know a few early-mid 30s without professional aviation aspitations (myself included) who did / are doing their IR, because the CBIR became available. If it hadn’t, I at least would have gone the FAA route

I am certain this is an unusual feature on EuroGA: a high % of young people. If you go to our fly-ins you will notice this immediately.

It is probably self-selecting because social media is much bigger among the younger people, and EuroGA is the only pan-European GA community.

This is good because if you want to get people into flying you need to start when they are younger (but when they still have money ).

All I was saying is I see pilots in their 50s gaining their FAA IR / CB IR for touring, while some almost-70 pilots slowly stop flying

That new people are getting into it, is great to hear.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jujupilote wrote:

Those who enter IFR flying are not young, and have never been I guess.

I was 27… But admittedly that was before the JAA/EASA gold plating.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Frankly, I abandoned working on the IR :

• via the FAA route, because you have to give your whole life to the TSA, and a lot of money to some ATPL factory like the ones I do not want in Europe
  • via the CB IR route, because I want to have a life for the next 18 months (tell me if I’m wrong here), and flying is not all my life

I hope to make it someday. It would be EASA if TSA and US visa regs do not change
I would be very happy to talk to someone below 35 taking the IR privately

I am 27

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 10 Apr 18:53
LFOU, France

Well, I have a group of about 10 friends – pilots, and of them 4 are working on their CB IR and one just passed it.
All in the 28-32 years old range, all in Paris

Personally I was lucky enough to do it at 24 (faa route in NYC) then converted to EASA

So @ Jujupilot don’t give up and let me know if you wanna have a chat about it

LFPN, LFLI, LFPZ
Sign in to add your message