Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GPS jamming and spoofing and relying on GPS, and GPS backup plan ?

EGPWS/TAWS also requires GPS. MEL limitations may restrict operations without TAWS availability.

Avionics geek.
Somewhere remote in Devon, UK.

To spend the money on an ILS and require GPS seems really dumb. Especially anywhere near Russia.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

arj1 wrote:

I think challenge is that the IAP cannot be flown on INS, and AFAIK they’ve got one runway end without ILS. @ivark might be able to comment further.

we have ILS only on 26 , missed approach and IAP need GPS and as they changed the CTR to info 2 years ago, ATC cannot give vectors. And the DME is only certified upwards of FL100. Now they want to modify DME-DME to work also on lower altitudes and maybe install additional VOR.

EETU, Estonia

arj1 wrote:

Radar Vectoring might helped, but Tartu has got radar approach control etc.
http://eaip.eans.ee/2024-04-18/html/eAIP/EE-AD-2.EETU-en-GB.html#EETU-AD-2.18

According to the above they’ve got only AFIS.

Yes. Radar is available but of course AFIS can’t do radar vectoring. From what I read in a news the other day, the plan is to put proper ATC in Tartu. Then aircraft can be radar vectored for the initial and missed approaches of the ILS and don’t have to rely on GPS. (Sorry, I don’t remember where I read it so no link…)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Radar Vectoring might helped, but Tartu has got radar approach control etc.
http://eaip.eans.ee/2024-04-18/html/eAIP/EE-AD-2.EETU-en-GB.html#EETU-AD-2.18

According to the above they’ve got only AFIS.

EGTR

Even the ILS does for the initial and missed approach segments

That seems a bit dumb…

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Surely an airliner can set up its INS at the gate (the coordinates are on a big board right in front of the cockpit, in the parked position) and then just fly; no GPS needed. It is only in recent years (10-15, depending on which airline pilot you ask) that airliners used GPS at all.

I think challenge is that the IAP cannot be flown on INS, and AFAIK they’ve got one runway end without ILS. @ivark might be able to comment further.

EGTR

Peter wrote:

Surely an airliner can set up its INS at the gate (the coordinates are on a big board right in front of the cockpit, in the parked position) and then just fly; no GPS needed.

The problem is not getting to Tartu. It is that all IAPs there require RNP 1. Even the ILS does for the initial and missed approach segments.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Surely an airliner can set up its INS at the gate (the coordinates are on a big board right in front of the cockpit, in the parked position) and then just fly; no GPS needed. It is only in recent years (10-15, depending on which airline pilot you ask) that airliners used GPS at all.

Administrator

Finnair suspends flights to Tartu due to GPS interference

Finnair had to turn back two commercial flights from Helsinki to Tartu in Estonia because of GPS jamming/spoofing last week and the airline has now announced suspension of flights from Helsinki to Tartu during May. Presumably VFR can continue as before.

There was some training and a little local GA activity when we visited there last year.

The airport is about 25 miles from the Russia border, is served by a remote FISO based in Tallin and has GPS instrument approaches.

Jamming activities are reported active in the area, as commented on earlier in this thread, and these appear to include spoofing (so you think you are somewhere else) and possibly also spoofing of phantom ADS-B traffic which I suspect might cause traffic alerts.

The suggestion is that Tartu should need some alternative ground navigation aid to fall back on.

Anyone know how this affects local GA activity (VFR or IFR) and any other airports in the area?

FlyerDavidUK, PPL & IR Instructor
EGBJ, United Kingdom
308 Posts
Sign in to add your message