Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Garmin Flightstream - interesting how things are moving

Yes, Garmin Telligence needs a GMA 35 or 350 as well as a GTN navigator.

It also requires the pilot to train himself to speak in “Garmin English” (unlike my 2009 Citroen whose voice recognition system can be trained to respond to the driver’s particular dialect, or my iPhone which seems to train itself automagically).

Such is perhaps the effect of regulation by the FAA or EASA on technical progress…

Last Edited by Jacko at 01 Jan 14:02
Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

Does that come with the normal GPS database, or is it a separate subscription?

It requires a compatible audio panel such as a GMS 35 and the addition of a “push to command” button, usually mounted on the yoke. There are no special data requirements.

KUZA, United States

Peter wrote:

It’s in the usual navigation database.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

The GTN knows where we’re going and what the tower frequency is

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Jacko wrote:

For instance, to load and activate Tower frequency on a busy/bumpy arrival, all we need to do is thumb a yoke button and say “tune destination tower”. The GTN knows where we’re going and what the tower frequency is, so it loads it into standby. One screen or knob touch toggles it to active.

Even without the voice command feature (which requires a particular Garmin audio panel) you can do the most important things, like COM tuning and direct-tos without using the touch screen. I have found only very minor problems with the GTN units even in moderate turbulence.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I positively hate touchscreen interfaces in these units – try to do anything in turbulence. IMHO they are simply not fit for purpose in light GA aircraft.

In reality most actions on the GTN need only one screen touch – if that.

For instance, to load and activate Tower frequency on a busy/bumpy arrival, all we need to do is thumb a yoke button and say “tune destination tower”. The GTN knows where we’re going and what the tower frequency is, so it loads it into standby. One screen or knob touch toggles it to active.

At the other extreme, if we see something interesting on a sight-seeing jaunt, just say “create waypoint here” – and it does.

Passengers asking “are we nearly there yet?” – we ask the GTN to “say ETE to destination” and our pax can holler if they need a rest stop sooner.

A previous knob-twiddler owner fitted a PoS 2.5” diameter Funke radio in my Jodel. It’s about to go in the trash (or eBay) , where such dumb avionics belong.

Glenswinton, SW Scotland, United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

An ipad on the very far right of the panel? Maybe for someone sitting in the righthand seat.

Big advantage compared to the G500 I have on the right hand side: iPad plays Netflix on long legs ….

Germany

Works well for us My dear wife’s only complaint is that she has nothing to do, now that the knob-twiddling has been replaced by auto flight plan upload…

NeilC
EGPT, LMML

An ipad on the very far right of the panel? Maybe for someone sitting in the righthand seat.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Your’re kidding, right? Have you ever tried to fly an airplane in IMC with reference to an iPad that is either on your joke and therefore turns with movement of the joke or on your knee and therefore 90deg till in comparison to your flight attitude? Try it with a hood in VMC with a pilot next to you how can recover the plane and you will never think again, that an iPad (even with an aviation grade ADHRS connected) comes only close to a backup PFD…

Here’s an iPad working well as an MFD using a panel mount. This is running Garmin Pilot and connected to the GNS 430W via FS210. The SynVis widget in GP provides PFD functionality.

Last Edited by NeilC at 22 Dec 20:25
NeilC
EGPT, LMML
82 Posts
Sign in to add your message