Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GA ports of entry

I flew to and back from the dead centre of France yesterday and today, and on Sunday it seemed to me that there were more G-reg and N-Reg with English accents than anything else on the FIS frequency. I was beginning to wonder where the locals were on this glorious day, but I found them on 123.5 flying round their local areas.

I would be (and have been) slammed if I said that but everybody else can It’s obvious when flying across France. Virtually no traffic doing any distance, at any altitude. They do have a lot of movements though, and reportedly 2x more valid PPLs than the UK. I suppose the Brits are happy to get out of the UK whereas……

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Or maybe they tour Silvaire style, without talking to anybody.

In the Alps nobody talks to FIS, everybody is on 130.0 or 130.35 yet there’s plenty “touring” – e.g. this http://m.20min.ch/ro/news/romandie/story/14358084

France & Switzerland is the same, if you listen to FIS, other than the random airliner checking Metars you’d think powered flight has yet to be discovered.

Peter wrote:

I flew to and back from the dead centre of France yesterday and today, and on Sunday it seemed to me that there were more G-reg and N-Reg with English accents than anything else on the FIS frequency. I was beginning to wonder where the locals were on this glorious day, but I found them on 123.5 flying round their local areas.

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

Or maybe they tour Silvaire style, without talking to anybody.

There is no separate FIS in the US, Flight Service is something different, so you’re either in the ‘system’ or not. I’d estimate 10% of US VFR cross-country traffic uses VFR flight following in the ‘system’. I don’t often find a need to do so, but I often monitor 122.75 when in Class E (US air-to-air frequency), making position reports in congested areas.

Silvaire wrote:

122.75 when in Class E (US air-to-air frequency)

blush didn’t know that!
Thanks! Will have to check it out from now on :)

Most of the time Flight Following is a lot of noise in my headset, but on long flights, I’ll take it, as it both is something to listen to and learn from, plus they keep me from making any possible TFR blunders (lots of wildfires out west atm).

For the incognito flights, I’ll remember 122.75….

Last Edited by AF at 21 Aug 21:47

Timothy wrote:

So, on the basis of that tiny sample, it seems that we Brits make up a lot of the touring traffic.

Just as a comparison, I flew from Switzerland to Amboise in the centre of France last Monday and back to Switzerland yesterday (Sunday) both on a pretty much direct route with a stop each way in Colmar for customs. Both flights had a lot of radio traffic in French and very little English other than the Ryanair type stuff (FIS in that part of France is mostly handled by Approach staff even though some freq are called Information on the paper map so one hears VFR and IFR radio). Even a lot of the IFR radio traffic was in French, including a fair number of N-reg. On the other hand, from Amboise down the west coast to Biscarrosse on Tuesday and back on Thursday had more UK & N call signs with English radio work. But then, I think the Biscarrosse Airpark has quite a few UK residents.

LSZK, Switzerland

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

France & Switzerland is the same, if you listen to FIS, other than the random airliner checking Metars you’d think powered flight has yet to be discovered.

I beg to disagree. I am based in Switzerland and if the weather is anywhere near nice the FIS freq can get very busy. I flew from Colmar FR into Switzerland yesterday, and had a hard time getting in my one requested position report…… it was a steady flow of radio traffic including a lot of (useful) traffic advisories….. unknown tfc, 9 o’clock, 2 miles, 300’ below, crossing left to right …

Last Edited by chflyer at 21 Aug 21:54
LSZK, Switzerland

That would be Zurich FIS… more diszipliniert than the Welschen side… .

Planning a flight to Caen, Autorouter tells me there is no Immigration there. However based on AIP/NOTAMS/Official EU journal/response from the PPR email, it is indeed possible to enter France from the UK at Caen.

EGTF, LFTF

From the AIP: Customs/immmigration : Only O/R, flight PN 24H MNM to [email protected]

It IS possible. Just a lot harder. Looks like we’ve kind’a lost another port of entry.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 05 Sep 16:31
LFPT, LFPN

I used Caen a few times in 2013, to places which didn’t have customs.

It used to cost 4.48 euros

Making it 24hr PNR shows that France has a total disconnect between its government agencies and economic activity.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message