Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is there a complete machine readable airspace database for Europe?

From here

Peter wrote:

How long has all of Europe’s airspace data (and danger etc areas) including the Italian stuff been online?

EAD has been around since 2003.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Hmmm; my point is being missed totally

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

How so? EAD SDO is machine readable data. That’s not the PDF documents which are called EAD PAMS.

I never had a problem figuring out which airport offered what. Takes a bit of research but easy with the internet. When in doubt I call or email.

Peter wrote:

You were asking about machine readable data, right? That’s one of the things EAD provides. Companies such as SkyDemon generate their airspace charts automatically from EAD data. Of course, I don’t know if Italy participated from the start.

I don’t think the full airspace data is there, unless this is recent.

The test would be whether you could create a VFR chart from the data, just by adding 3rd party topo data, and merging equal airspace segments so it looks clean.

Administrator

Peter wrote:

The test would be whether you could create a VFR chart from the data, just by adding 3rd party topo data, and merging equal airspace segments so it looks clean.
AFAIU that is exactly what SkyDemon does.

That must be relatively recent because

• the demise of DAFIF blocked all the US vendors from providing useful European airspace data, until some put a lot of work into it (e.g. GP)
  • Navbox, I was told, used to swipe/copy/paste the AIP PDF coordinates
  • stuff like this
  • newcomers like Foreflight would have an instantly usable VFR product (which even Garmin don’t have) just by licensing some topo data

So if true this is very good news but I still don’t believe that my post #22 is the full story otherwise the VFR charting situation in Europe would not be so dire.

Administrator
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message