Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

GA airfields in Switzerland

If you go to Saanen, please don’t do another HB-PRE to not give the authorities even more silly ideas

Samedan needs a check flight with an instructor (because of accidents with category B aircraft, category A now needs a mandatory check flight with an instructor; logic, isn’t it), and costs silly money these days, so I wouldn’t recommend.

Gruyeres is scenic, but the terrain is rising on both sides, so be sure to check your climb performance. (Link to the HR Giger Museum )

Bex also has a scenic grass runway, and you can visit the salt mines

Lausanne is easy, and has a bus stop very close by, so it’s easy to get into the city or the Lac Leman shores by public transport.

Ambri has a somewhat challenging circuit because you don’t see the runway most of the time – be sure to check whether they are open and be careful with downdrafts shortly after takeoff in case of north föhn.

If you want to go to Biel (and don’t need concrete or IFR), you could also go to Biel-Kappelen.

Both Lugano and Locarno are easily doable, but IMO Lugano is slightly more bureaucratic and needs a bit more time to sort formalities, but has IFR (with a mandatory online briefing, and nonprecision only because they rather let people hit the mountains than use their 6° IGS without tons of paperwork). Though I haven’t been there since they apparently have a new GA terminal, so I don’t know what changed.

LSZK, Switzerland

Does Samedan need a check flight even for VFR?

Grenchen makes a good entry point from the UK if your range gets you only there. They IME charge a lot for not having a noise certificate (I recall about 30 quid) though this was some years ago.

St Gallen (done more recently) is nice too but beware the lunchtime closure which is very unusual among airports and seems incredibly stupid.

Zurich is fine too but not exactly cheap; I am not sure what the latest is on GA charges and parking.

Locarno is very scenic. VFR only. For IFR you need Lugano but I could not make their stupid “online test” work in Firefox so didn’t bother going there.

Wangen Lachen is the other place I recall going to a long time ago – about 500m and very scenic. Sion is also mentioned in that writeup.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does Samedan need a check flight even for VFR?

Yes, and the airfield is VFR only anyway.

St Gallen Altenrhein nowadays also costs silly money, and the administration is tedious and slow, so I wouldn’t recommend either.

Wangen Lachen … 500m

And water after the runway, so be sure to use your short field skills if you don’t want to wash your aircraft – several people did during the last couple of years

LSZK, Switzerland

Zurich is fine too but not exactly cheap

You need mandatory handling nowadays. The cheapest option usually is the local aeroclub MFGZ, their website includes an online booking and price calculator tool. You also need airport slots for arrival and departure for category A aircraft. It helps if you are IFR capable, as IFR and VFR time windows where slots for cat A aircraft are available are not the same.

Last Edited by tomjnx at 09 Jul 16:00
LSZK, Switzerland

It’s about 4 or 5 years since I was there, but Bern wasn’t too much hassle for me. They had a GA handling desk, but handling was something like €5. I think the total chages came to about €35 including 3 days parking. Obviously a lot could have changed since then.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

Speck-Fehraltdorf LSZK is nice because tomjnx does both ATC and handling for you. Landing and departing with customs is about 70 CHF for a C182 which probably makes it the most expensive country-grass-VFR field in the world

“but Bern wasn’t too much hassle for me”

The prices IMO didn’t change much, but nowadays strip searches are included if you’re lucky. There is public transport from the airport, but it’s slow, expect it to take an hour to the city of Bern even though it’s only a few km. Also if you operate IFR, you almost always get ATC slots, same for Grenchen, the problem is the Bern Approach sector which handles both Bern and Grenchen.

LSZK, Switzerland

Landing and departing with customs is about 70 CHF

You can immigrate or emigrate from/to the schengen area at most swiss airfields upon advance notification (usually 2 hours) with flight and passenger details. Customs does spot checks, and if they decide to do, they charge the airfield operator more than 100CHF. In order to spread that cost to everyone using immigration, they usually charge around 20 to 30 CHF for immigration.

LSZK, Switzerland

I have flow from Bex LSGB a few times.
A nice friendly airfield with some very interesting machinery based there plus the mines, the local open-air hot water spring spa is very good and there’s a 45 minute tram ride up the mountain to the up-market ski town of Villars with its nice restaurants.
I have an instructor contact there if you want to do some mountain flying from there.

Forever learning
EGTB

Samedan is ok if you land and stay just a few hours, it gets expensive if you spend the night (80 CHF). Just a landing and turn around with a low noise plane within 2 hours is not too bad. But yes, you need a theoretical exam (online) AND an introduction flight if you have not landed there within the last 2 years.

Altenrhein is expensive but offers non Schengen and an ILS. It is not more expensive than ZRH.

ZRH, the fee for one landing from abroad is around CHF 100 (1200 kg), plus Handling. Pax Charge for departure is around 35 CHF per pax. But it is the only airport here where you can operate almost all day (if you can get a slot), IFR, non Schengen and so on. Parking charge is not very expensive, about 8 CHF per day.

Grenchen is ok on all aspects. I also never had any problem in Bern. The case wth the strip search has apparently been resolved to some extent and the security guys been put in their place.

Locarno is cheaper and less complicated than Lugano.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message