Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

G1000 upgrade to WAAS/EGNOS: LPV, KAP 140, and capturing vertical path

I think it has more to do with the KAP 140 operation and a lack of implementation of a prompt mode in the G1000 system. The KAP 140 does not natively support a GPS navigation source with vertical guidance, so the signals for an ILS must be faked, that is the KAP 140 must think that VLOC is the source and the vertical guidance analog signals are being provided along with the ILS Energize. The KFC 225, it is a similar design to the KAP 140 in that they both detect the source change between GPS and VLOC causes the auto pilot to exit approach or nav mode and go to Roll mode. To fake out the autopilot, GPS/VLOC is not fed directly to the autopilot, but a new discreet is that simulates GPS mode, except when the AP is being used for vertical guidance from a GPS source, in which case it turns off. The pilot is expected to then assert the approach mode for the LPV or GPS approach with vertical guidance. So there is additional software added to the GNS/GTN navigators to control the new discreet signal and the pilot gets a message prompting them to assert the AP signals. This is termed prompt mode. The sequence the pilot sees is:

1) the prompt message
2) select procedure
3) select "Enable A/P APR Outputs?
4) press APR on the KFC 225/140

So, could this be implemented on a G1000 system with a KAP 140? Sure. But it hasn’t been and there is no need for it on the GIA63W used on the WAAS systems using the GFC700. The manufacturer would have to pay for it and then go thru the certification process as they own the STC.

KUZA, United States

We’ve done this in various threads over the years, but I am fairly convinced there is a way to wire up one of these King autopilots to a Garmin or Avidyne navigator, with the ILS ENERGISE always connected so contravening the STC IM, and it should work just fine

The ILS ENERGISE signal comes out of the VHF radio when a valid ILS frequency is tuned on the nav portion of it. I don’t think it is conditional on a valid ILS signal.

Sandel have an STC for driving a KFC etc from the analog FCS output of the SN3500 which doesn’t need the double button push. It works for ILS and LPV, transparently.

But I am writing from a poor memory, and I haven’t installed an LPV navigator yet. But when I do I will drive the KFC225 from the SN3500’s FCS output, not from the navigator.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’ve flown several 172’s which came w/ WAAS G1000 + KAP140 and they fly both ILS and LPV GPS Approaches w/ vertical guidance just fine from stock..
So it must be something software related.. It definitely is possible, interesting that there’s simply no documentation about activating that
feature for an aftermarket installation/upgrade ..

Can someone tell me if on the G1000 the cables are named the same like on a GNS/GTN ? So there’s also a ILS Energize cable there which
goes directly to the KAP140 ? When I get some time, I could take pictures of the cabling of the 172 and simply compare… However IIRC all cables
are just plain white :-(

Without prompt mode, it won’t work. Prompt mode requires a new discrete and a software update. ILS energize is not the issue.

KUZA, United States

A software upgrade for the KAP140 or the G1000 ? Whats the latest version you should have on the KAP140 ?

Is there any update on this topic?

Two identical old threads merged.

Apparently, to update a non-W G1000 you just need a GIA63W and nothing else. Is this correct? Aren’t there special dealer config codes involved?

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Is there any update on this topic?

Two identical old threads merged.

Apparently, to update a non-W G1000 you just need a GIA63W and nothing else. Is this correct? Aren’t there special dealer config codes involved?

Hardware: WAAS antennae & cables?
Other: configs? Specific firmware for a specific hardware combination?

EGTR

On a point of detail, you don’t actually need a WAAS antenna

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Apparently, to update a non-W G1000 you just need a GIA63W and nothing else

Also, the 2nd way is NXI & GIA64W if you are happy to donate your left wing & left rudder and then fly on right sideslip on whatever left

Last Edited by Ibra at 05 Jul 13:24
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

On a point of detail, you don’t actually need a WAAS antenna

I know! But will it be approved by Garmin?
And then after that you need to do all the procedure listed in the installation/upgrade PDFs (you know, those on http://www.peter2000.co.uk/aviation/ site! )

EGTR
Sign in to add your message