Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Funny random stuff

Ibra wrote:

the sum method in YT video is sloppy math, the analytical extension is proper math

I agree on both counts!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Airborne_Again wrote:

It’s not that simple.

Nah, keep it simple! No exceptions! I mean, what is worth a general rule if it needs an exception?

(I add several smilies here, just for the case someone thinks my argument in the thread “funny random stuff” was serious)
Germany

johnh wrote:

It happens that complex numbers provide a useful way to describe quantum mechanics, just as they do to describe what is going on in electrical engineering

You don’t need complex numbers in electrical engineering, it just makes the whole thing simpler mathematically, especially for AC. There’s no complex numbers in Maxwell’s equations. Quantum mechanics on the other hand, has no “real” equivalent to Schrödinger equation that makes sense in terms of computing. AFAIK even Einstein regarded this as a fault in the theory, because “complex numbers are not part of reality”. Anyway, this isn’t funny random stuff

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

There’s no complex numbers in Maxwell’s equations

Heuh, have you read his original papers and books? Treatise on Electricity and Magnetism (1873), see equation 31 page 204. It’s claimed that Maxwell was the first scientist to ever use complex numbers (root-square of -1) in “pure Physics”:

https://www.aproged.pt/biblioteca/MaxwellI.pdf

Before him it was Fourier, Fresnel, Euler…however, these guys mixed more math than physics. In field equations or matrix equations of electromagnetism, it’s easier to work with EM = E+i*B (Riemann–Silberstein vector)

Maxell introduced complex analysis in engineering via stability criteria (negative complex roots of characteristic equation)

https://edisciplinas.usp.br/pluginfile.php/5514441/mod_resource/content/1/Origin%20of%20Stability%20Analysis.pdf

None of this makes them real…

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Jun 12:49
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

I tend to agree with the sentiment (if not the literal reading) of Kronecker’s statement: “God made the integers, all else is the work of man”

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

you will be confronted with complex numbers. But there’s nothing about the subject itself that requires them.

Indeed; as I said, complex numbers have no real world meaning. They, and the crazy idea of sqrt(-1), are just tools which you have to accept as useful for problem solving.

Crypto applications? I don’t think so.

God made the integers, all else is the work of man

I agree… Another one is that the world is analog; digital is a subset of analog

Now how about something completely different:

I came up with this about 5 years ago and was going to patent it. I am sure Hozelock would have paid millions for that… but this German company has done it.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ahh food😄 I don’t need special tools to collect them, they just come uninvited🙂

France

gallois wrote:

Ahh food

OMG!

Hey wait a second: why not make a snail trap out of it? It looks quite easy to track snail movement, and whenever a snail has crossed some “entrance line” you give current on that line so that the snail won’t return but has to move forward until it enters some form of trap. The other day you just collect them to do, ahem, whatever you think is appropriate.

Last Edited by UdoR at 17 Jun 14:48
Germany

It would be simpler to let a snail crawl along some sort of cantilever and when the weight is detected, flip it so it falls into a container from which they cannot get out due to the double tape system.

Then send them to France where they eat them

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Round here they just go out with a bucket and like picking blackberries in half an hour you have a full bucket ready for granny to turn into l’escargot.
The restaurants in Paris and other big cities used to import them from the UK..I don’t think they do it anymore..At least not now the last 3 years or so we have had quite a bit of wet weather.😏

France
Sign in to add your message