Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

From VFR holding to threshold procedure

guys, do not overplay this. You are close to the airport and tower wants you to be on the ground (to have empty airspace again). So unless you are clearly directed to join left traffic pattern, simply continue to the base (which will not be significantly different from joining down wind). Actually, I am confused by the “continue to threshold” instruction – why they ask you to fly to threshold? “proceed to final” is the instruction I would expect or even “cleared to land” directly. And to get to final I would point the nose toward area of the base turn. If I am told “continue to threshold” I would ask which of thresholds and fly there – but to overfly that point.
Generally speaking – follow ATC instruction. This is a common mistake to follow a described VFR approach path via certain VFR points point in case tower clears you “proceed direct to final 23R” – it means you go DIRECT to final what ever the map/procedure says. If unsure or unclear – simply ask for confirmation. better ask than fly different direction what the guy at the tower wants.

LKKU, LKTB

I would ask TWR, “confirm right hand circuit”.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

how far do I go beyond abeam the threshold point before I turn base

until you can just see the threshold over your shoulder – theoretically at your 7:30 o’clock (or 4:30 on a righthand circuit) i.e. at 135 degrees.

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

If you don’t need to land on the numbers (most often you don’t) no need to dive kamikaze style – absent any contrary indication from tower, start a descending turn direct to final once abeam and aim for a spot 300m before the first taxiway in order to minimise runway occupancy.

I would take “proceed threshold XX” as “take the shortest route from holding point to threshold XX”, definitely not anything involving overflying the runway axis.

Yeah thats what I think as well. But then I start thinking how far do I go beyond abeam the threshold point before I turn base. It all seems a little awkward to me. Usually I end up getting real close and diving in kamikaze style full flaps and throttle off, slipping in for a glorious “get the hell out of the way” of big plane traffic landing :) …

I would take “proceed threshold XX” as “take the shortest route from holding point to threshold XX”, definitely not anything involving overflying the runway axis.

If unsure just ask but is there not radar there? I agree that it would seem right downwind/base for 23 makes sense.

Last Edited by JasonC at 27 Jan 15:44
EGTK Oxford

Tower just instructs “Proceed to to threshold X”. But there are usually a few ways to get there :)

If that’s what the tower says I would proceed at my own discretion (within reasonable limits, obviously) depending on what’s most convenient at the time and place.

I’ve gotten “Proceed to right base runway XX” before and then that’s what I’d do…

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Good question. I would interpret “direct to threshold R23” as a right downwind, right base configuration. However, it practical terms I have found that Tower usually gives more information, such as “proceed right downwind or right base for R23”. I would be hesitant to cross the runway without explicit instructions to do so.

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

11 Posts
Sign in to add your message