Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

French Alps Recommended Airfields

Guys, the OP is VFR

Sorry for a bit of off-topic as Snoopy asked the question on LFLB (as pointed by Boscomantico, worth knowing that you need 5km visibility & 3500ft ceiling to fly VFR in Chambery CTR/AD, it’s not obvious)

In that case LFKA Albertville is a very nice little airport to go into as is Grenoble Le Versoud

Alberville is restricted (not CAP: mountain or instructor), yes Grenoble Le Versoud is a very nice place

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Jan 09:57
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

Alberville is restricted (not CAP: mountain or instructor)

you’re right, that’s the theory ;-). Reality is quite different….

LFHN - Bellegarde - Vouvray France

Sure, many regulations are violated every single day.

Anyway, legalities aside, I would put it into the more demanding category of airfields, and therefore maybe not advisable for someone flying in the mountains for the first time.

Btw, I faintly remember reading about changes to the Mont. Blanc restricted area situation, but actually, I don‘t see any trace of it in the charts/AIP. R30B still shoes as ultralight gliders only and July-August only…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Mt Blanc is now restricted for SEP as well during summer season when campers are around, H24 from Jun to Oct, as always “it’s lost in the AIP Soup” (SUP-AIP 120/21 for ZRT & RA in 30A, B, C) rather than AIP or NOTAM that gets properly displayed on moving maps or picked on AIRQC cycle…

sup aip

Reality is quite different

Of course, but that restriction is an “actual AD law” not some “AIP poem”

Last Edited by Ibra at 02 Jan 12:09
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Thanks. Yes, all these SUPs in France are a pain.

In fact, we‘ll have to see if they renew it in 2022.

Given the elevations within that area, one will likely stay just outside of the limits of that area when circling the mointain.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
25 Posts
Sign in to add your message