Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

LGIO Approach plate help

Doing some prep for our upcoming trip to Greece next week but I am a little confused with the approaches to Ioannina. Jepp have VOR A,B,C,D, not for a specific runway and VOR 32. VOR32 is self expanitory with a stated DA/MDA but the other VOR ABCD don’t have a DA published just a circle to land MDA. It would appear that VORA is for CAT A,B while VORB is For CAT C,D. VOR C and D in the Greek AIP is classified as a “circling”…..

VOR A….

This is clearly and approach to R14, looking at the profile what is the DA at D 1.0?

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

If the final approach course is more than 30 degrees from the landing runway or the descent gradient from the FAF to the runway threshold exceeds 400 feet / nm then straight in landing minimums are not authorized. You have to use the circling minimums, that does not prevent tower from clearing you to land on R14 though.

Hope that helps.

Pasha

LFLP

Thanks @pashab. Neither would seem to be the case in the plate above, or am I missing something ?

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

9.5 DME to the threshold. 9.5*400 = 3800.
FAF is at 5300 – airport elevation of 1558 = 3742

Close enough that they will have used this criterion in my opinion. There are other factors which come into play when deciding on minimums for an airport though so go figure.

LFLP

I was dividing by 10. Yes 9.5 to threshold. Thanks.

EGBE (COVENTRY, UK)

It would be possible if there’s no 2490’ hill close to your path from D13 at 5800’ it would be 340’/nm to threshold but… In reality you fly pretty close to that hill and you’re around its height when abeam if you’re cleared for visual approach RW14. I remember I was at 9000 at D15 when I confirmed runway in sight and asked for visual approach RW14. After few minutes of steep descent I slowed down and moved a bit more to the center of valley

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message