Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Are there Flying Clubs in the UK, like France/Switzerland

I have recently moved to the UK from Switzerland. I have my own IFR equipped plane for longer trips to Europe etc, but would like to find a way to do short VFR flights cost effectively in the UK.

In Switzerland virtually all pilots belong to one of the many clubs there. My old club had 4 or 5 Robins for training, a Piper Archer for longer trips, an Extra for aerobatics and my favorite a Piper Cub L4 for FUN. You paid an annual fee to the club then an hourly rate for the planes, booking online etc. This is a typical set up, and most GA airports have such a club. The clubs are where everyone gets their training, as well as do their BFR's etc. Even when pilots "graduate" to their own plane they tend to keep up their club membership.

Are there such clubs in the UK. I keep my plane at Oxford, where I have done a couple of hours on a truly ancient and decrepit archer with Pilot Flight Training to revalildate my EASA license, but its not the same thing as a club.

It would be great to be able to join such a club here and get access to the range of planes and experiences that a club offers.

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

I think the simple answer to your question is No, flying clubs in the UK are certainly quite different to those in France where you will find a mixture of aeroplanes, microlights and possibly gliders in the same recreational club. In the UK the different categories of aircraft are in separate clubs and normally a club is actually a flying school. There were about 5 traditional members aero clubs left a few yeas ago but they have dwindled in number. The only thing that seems to differ is the size of the club/school.

Not sure I agree totally with Tumbleweed.

What about places like Sherburn, Netherthorpe, Breighton, and Sherwood at Nottingham?

I am just naming a few airfields that I go to for a bacon butty, but the first three named seem to be "member's club" run, and Sherwood certainly are a member's club but don't run the aerodrome.

Darley Moor, Gamston (UK)

Yes, there are true flying clubs in the UK.

Most military airfields have one, but unless serving in, or associated with, the military those tend to be closed to you.

Chilbolton Flying Club in Hampshire is an excellent example of one - although it doesn't have club aircraft (it has in the past had club syndicates, but doesn't presently).

Spitfire Flying Club at Popham is a pretty close approximation, with social events, aircraft you can rent within the club, numerous syndicates, and a couple of able instructors.

I'm not sure whether you'd regard them as clubs or businesses, but the three clubs/schools at Enstone not far from you are friendly with a selection of reasonable and affordable aeroplanes.

G

Boffin at large
Various, southern UK.

Wellesbourne have TakeFlight

Blackbushe have EGLK flying club

Most flight schools have aircraft for solo hire.

Most you have to pay a joining fee and monthly fees and aircraft rental on top

A short distance from Oxford is Enstone. There are two clubs ; Oxfordshire Sports Flying and Enstone Flying Club.

I suspect you’ll find much more of a club type atmosphere at one of those than at a more commercial flying school. They both have a selection of rental aircraft.

KHWD- Hayward California; EGTN Enstone Oxfordshire, United States

Try Turweston Flying Club

Really near to Oxford and great people.

EGTK Oxford

White Waltham EGLM also has a mixture of planes and a nice atmosphere with many social events and at least two weekly club fly outs.

EGTF, LFTF

I guess it depends what one means by club. To my mind, a club is not a money making business for the benefit of 1 or 2 individuals. It’s a place I run by club members for the benefit of other club members.
Personally I haven’t seen such club in the UK. The so called club I am a member of is according to me not a club but a business in disguise. It’s a shame really.

Fairoaks/EGTF

I have been in all the UK flying clubs/schools mentioned so far, but not one of them resemblres a typical French aeroclub.

23 Posts
Sign in to add your message