Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Guard 121.5

chwinter wrote:

Yes, I do. They called me once on an IFR flight when I selected the wrong frequency and also forgot to check in with them.

Same. Good lesson learnt.

The other day when got engine issues outside radio coverage (over North Sea), I did manage to get an airliner to relay a radio call to London about it. Always nice to know you have a frequency someone might actually be listening too.

On long flights yes.When I used to fly commercially over the North Atlantic regularly did relays for light aircraft at the lower levels to the the Oceanic centres.Sadly the frequency gets much abused with football scores and trivia at times.regards Stampe

EGMD EGTO EGKR, United Kingdom

I listen to it because it is recommended as an emergency freq. The old ELTs transmitted on it. Plus if things go wrong you can usually ask for help on it. Thats one reason Airlines still use it (I think).

If anyone abuses it they should be reported Its not meant as a common frequency get rid of Boredom.

KHTO, LHTL

The old ELTs transmitted on it.

So do the new PLBs, Homers need the 121.5 MHz Signal as there are no homers on 406 MHz

Last Edited by Tumbleweed at 10 Mar 21:00

It is quite common that you hear ATC trying to reach airliners(and others) that have ended up on the wrong frequency.

ESSZ, Sweden

I think I have read somewhere that it is actually a requirement for all aircraft, to monitor 121,5 whenever practical. i tried to find it when the thread started but it does not seem to be in either OPS (Part-NCO) or SERA. Have I dreamt it up or is it somewhere?

huv
EKRK, Denmark

Have it in standby in my #2 com and toggle to it whenever #2 isn’t needed for something else like ATIS. I’ve picked up ELT tx on quite a few occasions and reported to FIS along with my pos. They always thanked me for the report and followed up, even if a couple tx were intermittent and/or likely false alarms on the ground.

LSZK, Switzerland

SOP at the ATO where I train my CBIR is to have ATIS and 121.5 on #2. So it’s pretty much always on except when listening to ATIS.
When I fly VFR I tend to listen to frequencies of local fields I might be flying over or close to, announcing my presence and intentions where necessary, so then I don’t have 121.5 on quite as much, but it’s the fallback.

ESMK, Sweden

From the Jeppesen manual, Rules & Procedures, Denmark, ICAO differences:

Aircraft flying over the North Sea and Skagerrak within Copenhagen FIR shall continuously guard the VHF emergency frequency 121.5MHz, except when the aircraft is carrying out communication on other VHF frequencies, or when airborne equipment limitations or cockpit duties do not permit simultaneous guarding of two frequencies.

Since this is listed under ICAO differences, I assume there is no general requirement to monitor 121.5.

huv
EKRK, Denmark
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message