Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Another accident

Mooney_Driver wrote:

If you wanna be cynical that is ok but remember there was a pilot in that airplane who leaves behind a family and loved ones. Apart, a PC7 trainer is not really a weapon…

The Swiss Airforce seems to have a pretty bad safety record in the last few years. Might be perception but there are a lot of accidents and due to the Swiss army not being deployed anywhere, they look rather embarrassing. I have the impression that there is something not right about how they train and use their pilots.

What I was getting at is that any alleged DA42 “falling leaf” behaviour (which is anyway achievable with most planes if you stall them deep enough) could not possibly have any relevance to the Corsica accident.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

achimha wrote:

The DA42 is the aerodynamically most benign aircraft I have ever flown. It is completely free from any surprising or demanding behavior.

Well…. Of course in that case the aircraft was severly provoked, but a flat spin is still a flat spin.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 13 Sep 13:26
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

“What I was getting at is that any alleged DA42 “falling leaf” behaviour (which is anyway achievable with most planes if you stall them deep enough) could not possibly have any relevance to the Corsica accident.”

Never claim that this is what happened. It was just an answer to your word “Unusual”

I never comment about actual accidents involving people deaths anyway…

Glad you change the thread title!

Last Edited by at 13 Sep 13:34

ACRO wrote:

Glad you change the thread title!

Me too. Wasn’t going to comment on it though, but since ACRO did…

LFPT, LFPN

what_next wrote:

But if it had done that, the occupants would have survived the crash

I have not tried the falling leaf in a DA42 – only in the DA40. So I have no idea what kind of VS you would get, but I suspect it is way more than -600 fpm.

LFPT, LFPN

achimha wrote:

The Swiss Airforce seems to have a pretty bad safety record in the last few years. Might be perception but there are a lot of accidents and due to the Swiss army not being deployed anywhere, they look rather embarrassing. I have the impression that there is something not right about how they train and use their pilots.

There I agree. The safety record of the Swiss Airforce is very bad indeed considering the amount of flying done. Or maybe that is the main reason: very few flying is actually getting done. This is the 2nd accident where a military plane gets lost in the high alps which should actually be their homeground. There is no explanation for that other than training is lacking due to cost restraints? They’d better get their act together, but that will require money which the government appears not to be willing to spend.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

An automated airliner has a lot of cushioning in the undercarriage, compared to a GA twin with the undercarriage retracted. I wouldn’t want to survive that acceleration applied along the spine.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom
18 Posts
Sign in to add your message