Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Free of Avgas curse at last

Jason, congrats - seriously!

The centre panel MFD is awesome. You can display a full size approach plate & key engine parameters at the same time. A major SA enhancer & big step up from an ordinary 2-screen G1000.

Front panel bottom left, is that a Bendix King ADF? Do you have 2 ADF receivers?

I mention this because my DA42 ADF integrates directly with the G1000. (setting the frequency on the PFD is a usability disaster, btw)

I did eventually get ADF on my DA42. It's actually required IFR equipment in certain parts of the Pacific, and if you truly lose GPS signal in the middle of nowhere, at least you've got a semi viable radio nav backup together with the compass & watch.

And you can listen to AM radio! (does that still exist in Europe? 1440 kHz anyone?)

Front panel bottom left, is that a Bendix King ADF? Do you have 2 ADF receivers?

It is a KR87. I think it is separate because it was added after the plane was built as they are not standard in the US now on these aircraft. I believe it sends the bearing to the G1000 so I will set on the KR87.

(setting the frequency on the PFD is a usability disaster, btw)

Thankfully the keyboard helps a lot with usability.

I did eventually get ADF on my DA42. It's actually required IFR equipment in certain parts of the Pacific, and if you truly lose GPS signal in the middle of nowhere

It is required here for a lot of approaches. My home airport has the wonderful NDB/ILS/DME Approach. And of course I always tune and use the ADF on that one.....

And you can listen to AM radio! (does that still exist in Europe? 1440 kHz anyone?)

On my PPL flight test in Australia the examiner half way through tuned a classical music station on the ADF and promptly fell asleep...

EGTK Oxford
42 Posts
Sign in to add your message