Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Free of Avgas curse at last

They were linked from controller. Ad taken down. I will put them up again.

EGTK Oxford

So had a good first day training in it. Landings are quite different from the Mirage. Doing circuits alongside (and following and going past) cessna 152s was interesting as was the 15kt crosswind. It is a quick plane.

EGTK Oxford

How much fuel do you need for one hour of pattern flying?

I haven't refuelled yet and forgot to check the totaliser.

I think I would prefer not to know.

Setting up after departing Coventry to fly to Turweston - by the time I programmed the FMS I was almost at Oxford! Must remember to dial back the torque at low altitude.

EGTK Oxford

Well, with the huge price differential between Avgas and Avtur in Britain, I guess the fuel bill for one hour's flying will be about equal, right?

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

About 10 years ago I knew a TBM700 owner who worked this out and the fuel cost per mile flown was about the same as the TB20.

This was based on a ~ 2x price differential of avtur v. avgas, and the 2x TAS differential.

But, in the UK at least, the first of those two is gone unless you are willing to claim the flight is for business or for training.

Of course there are other factors

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, with the huge price differential between Avgas and Avtur in Britain, I guess the fuel bill for one hour's flying will be about equal, right?

Not to mention, that he'll cover a much larger distance as well.

Ahh, aviation logic - where would we be without it...!

I really wondered how this works, Peter. If I come to the UK from Germany, and pull up at the pumps, Avtur will cost me something like £0.90 on average (VAT included).Will I be "asked" the purpose of the flight at that time? Am I supposed to do any more paperwork after this ? Again, I am talking about a one-off visit to the UK from abroad. This whole Avtur taxation thing just seems to be so poorly thought out...

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I don't know how it works, but then I have no reason to look into it deeply. Nobody I have asked wants to talk about it.

As far as I know it is just a self-declaration system which relies on people being honest, and once you have gone back to Italy nobody is likely to be very interested.

But all these forms people sign are going to be stored somewhere and one day somebody in authority might decide to get them out and start asking for supporting evidence.

In general they will go after easy targets i.e. UK residents...

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Pics?

LDZA LDVA, Croatia
Sign in to add your message