Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Difficult to comply STAR (LIMP)

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

Where I didn’t feel proficient, is flying the arc with DME only

This shouldn’t be a problem, although RMI pointing to co-located VOR is helpful. Knowing that arc ends by establishing ILS, you just set NAV1 to IPR ILS, DME to NAV1, NAV2 to BSA or VIL, carefully track DME distance, look at MFD map and wait for ILS needle to become live.

Last Edited by Emir at 25 Jul 11:15
LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Why should WAAS be required for P-RNAV?

P-RNAV is about navigating within 1 NM.

WAAS is about navigating vertically within a few feet as you approach minimums for an LPV approach.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

huv wrote:

WAAS is about navigating vertically

WAAS means “Wide Area Augmentation System”. It enhances the precision of GPS positions both in the horizontal and vertical plane. Many non WAAS capable GPS kits do not even show P-RNAV procedures. Personally I know this from using the non “W” GNS430/530 units in our training aircraft as well as the Honeywell GNS-XL FMS which is installed in the Citations I fly.
The difference between B-RNAV and P-RNAV is not only the precision but also the leg types which must be supported (see for example here for starters: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Required_navigation_performance ) by the navigation and flight guidance system.

EDDS - Stuttgart

ICAO PBN “RNAV1” (formerly known as P-RNAV in europe) doesn’t require a GNSS SBAS enabled receiver.
You don’t even need a GPS receiver to achieve RNAV1. DME/DME is usually acceptable (unless stated otherwise on the approach plate).

Virtually no airliners are equipped with SBAS (except brand new aircraft) and they still fly RNAV1 (and have been doing so for years).

I regularly fly RNAV1 flight path with a legacy GNS530.

Last Edited by Guillaume at 25 Jul 12:01

Emir wrote:

This shouldn’t be a problem, although RMI pointing to co-located VOR is helpful. Knowing that arc ends by establishing ILS, you just set NAV1 to IPR ILS, DME to NAV1, NAV2 to BSA or VIL, carefully track DME distance, look at MFD map and wait for ILS needle to become live.

Thanks Emir.
This is what I learnt in real time, and it worked pretty well Following DME trend and knowing general heading allowed me to bring good correction.
Speed provided by DME is not an option on G1000.

In the end, the STAR wasn’t that difficult, it is just that:
- I was oscillating between continuing IFR or cancelling, and thus didn’t prepare enough in advance
- Flying GPS Star is so easy that we become lazy, and don’t be immediately sharp at flying with conventionnal instruments (speaking for me here)

what_next wrote:

Many non WAAS capable GPS kits do not even show P-RNAV procedures

Without example in mind, I believe G1000 nonWAAS can load such procedures in GPS flightplan.

In this case, the new Jeppesen STARs, which are georeferenced, would have been a “plus”.

Last Edited by PetitCessnaVoyageur at 25 Jul 14:25

The STAR doesn’t appear in my G1000.

EGTK Oxford

Thanks Jason for your input.
So, definitely not a WAAS vs nonWAAS limitation, or database corruption, here.

Now, I would really like to read about the Jeppesen reasons for not coding some official arrivals, and probably departures and approaches. Maybe somewhere is more familiar with the way they work ?

Also, I wonder if some of you check the database before the flight, to see what he has got and what lacks. Also, if there is a way to check the list without accessing the aircraft.

PetitCessnaVoyageur wrote:

- TZO VOR was out of service, so couldn’t be use to fly the outbound leg from OSBUL

There is a colocated NDB and indeed the textual description of the routing at the bottom of the plate says that you can alternatively use the VOR or NDB for course guidance between OSBUL and MP406. So actually all navaids needed to fly the STAR was operational.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I thought that this

https://avdb.garmin.com/docs/garmin_data_exclusions.html

will provide the answer to question of missing STAR. However there’s no LIMP in this notice.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Garmin: “This exclusions report is for the Navigation Database by Jeppesen”.

AFAIK databases from Honeywell get their informations from Jeppesen as well. This means also the KLN 94 could be affected ?

Berlin, Germany
Sign in to add your message