Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

ATC making use of the flight plan equipment list for routing?

I read about a private pilot that was prosecuted in Holland for not having on board what was declared in the flight plan.

It was the other way around: A pilot was flying in airspace that required a 8.33kHz radio and he did not file the Y in Item 10 of his FPL.
The Dutch CAA sent a letter with a request to prove that the aircraft was equiped with a 8.33kHz radio. The letter state an “Intend to impose a penalty” if unable to show the requested evidence.

I think this came up around here:

Search for e.g.

prosecut* AND “8.33”

It’s a ridiculous prosecution, intended to make a show of authority.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

It’s a ridiculous prosecution, intended to make a show of authority.

Yes, one shouldn’t be easily intimidated. autorouter now forwards several AFTN messages a day from the German slot coordination unit threatening a 50,000 € fine.

A few months ago I got a 3 page letter from the German Federal Customs office announcing a fine of ca 20,000 € for violation of a customs airport requirement. I sent them back why I was right and they were wrong, citing the applicable law and all I got was that “given that you do not have a record of previous customs offenses and might not have been properly trained, we hereby waive our claim”. I got furious about this, I wanted a “we apologize for falsely accusing you”. Now that time has passed, I am planning to visit the lady at her office and demand that apology…

Last Edited by achimha at 14 Jul 10:38

Yes; however these quasi-police bodies usually have ways of stabbing you in the back. The various methods have been perfected by the police over centuries and, in the UK, only slightly tempered by the entry of the CPS, but aviation enforcement bodies are not subject to any independent influence. The DGAC is famous for doing it and they can because they control so much on the ground, getting involved at the individual aeroclub level. I was once at a presentation by the head (the very top man) of one European CAA who said, in a room of ~50 people, “don’t quote me on this but a few days ago several ultralights busted [airport X controlled airspace] and if it was me I would tear up their licenses”. Admittedly they probably get loads of UL busts (one Class A airport ATCO told me of 30 ULs busting his CAS, right through the overhead, in one big formation, all non TXP but they could see them fly overhead, but none were traced ) but it suggests that one is best keeping one’s head low.

Administrator

achimha wrote:

I am planning to visit the lady at her office and demand that apology…

Really though?!

Take a suggestion from a friend, and just don’t!

EGKB Biggin Hill

Are there any updates on this?

Administrator
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message