Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Strong crosswind landing, and techniques

@Emir have you ever had to do that?

Never. I have never tried this, even as a practice. With vortex generators on left side of the tail (part of CD-155 upgrade) DA42 has sufficient rudder authority in both directions to handle 25+ knots of crosswind.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Another factor that was previously mentioned elsewhere in the forum against the long-slip-method is unporting of the fuel tanks in a low-fuel situation on low-wingers, especially if fuel injected (no carburettor bowl). Some aircraft POH/AFM advise to be heeded on it. I seem to recall on some Bonanzas.
Should be a non-issue if selected tank is central (jodel?) or downwind side, or if you only transition crab to slip on very short finals.

@Yeager, I also do crap approaches sometimes…;) (sorry, could not help it)

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

@Yeager, I also do crap approaches sometimes…;) (sorry, could not help it)

I wouldn´t know what a crap approach is – never done one! Obviously never will! Ever! ;-)

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Another factor that was previously mentioned elsewhere in the forum against the long-slip-method is unporting of the fuel tanks in a low-fuel situation on low-wingers

It’s not just low wing planes as a lot of wing tanks have a single fuel line connected only to their inboard end. Fuel may therefore unport from the fuel tank discharge in a slip, regardless of where the wing and tank is located in relation to the engine. Depending on the fuel tank configuration it is often therefore a good idea to slip away from the wing tank in use.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 21 Apr 14:57
Sign in to add your message